Good rod to mate to a Mitchell 300?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Zonaman, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Some of you more "seasoned" folks might recall an old war horse of a reel- the Mitchell 300. I just acquired one to add to my catfishing arsenal. I'd like to mate it with a good pole for cats. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya, 7ft. one peice ,white,m.h. action shakespeare ugly stik catfish rod. that mitchell will work perfect. good luck:cool2:

3. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I agree with Bill. I had a Mitchell 300 for 47 years and it just gave up on me this past year, probably only because I didn't take to good of care of it through the years. caught many, many fish with no problems except a couple bail springs. Excellent reel, in my opinion. prim

4. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Ugly Stick sounds good. What brand of line do you guys favor?

Thanks!

5. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    berkly big game but i dont think youd want anything bigger than 12-14 lb. test for a 300

6. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Right, this is pretty much my replacement "medium action" range rig. I've got the 30lbs test on my big flatie rig.

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Hey Buddy,
    That reel is a classic.. Just my opinion, but I think you should clean it, put a little oil on the gears and hold on to it/display it... A fine functioning real, but not a very deficient drag. You can get a newer Mitchel 308 or 300 relatively cheap for the med range and lite up the channels with 10-15 lb mono.

For that old Mitchel, I would look for an older spinning rod to complete the look. Good find.
    A~

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gerry I would agree with this post on the Ugly Stick. It will do a good reliable job with your reel. :lol: :big_smile:

9. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida

10. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i have 2 of the older 306s, but i been threatining to buy a new 306x dont know why tho cuz id just have to get a rod to go with it and really dont need it:sad2: type in mitchell 306x on th home page of ebay

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Used to have several of those reels, hated them. The skirted spool reels were a major advance over the 300. I still have one somewhere in the garage, one of the really old ones.

12. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    Part of my background is in the history field. I drive a '69 Chevy half ton, and I still have functioning rotary dial phones in my 70's vintage ranch style house. My Ol' Man used to reel in blue fish off the coast of New Jersey with one of those 300's. I don't imagine I'll get into too much trouble with it up to about 15 or 20 lbs. I get a kick out of these old school gadgets. Which reminds me, do any of you guys still have a Heddon Hellbender in your tackle box?

13. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I agree with Bill Dewalt....you can't beat an Ugly Stick with a big stick.
    :cool2:

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I hated those reels, had two of them, one bought brand new in '74, the other inherited. Much prefer the skirted spinning reels.

15. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I inherited a few of these reels from my dad awhile back and "e-bay'd" some of the parts I needed to refurbish them and now they work great for me! I use them on older bamboo/cane type rods when I'm feeling nastalgic and impressed with them every time I pick them up! Good reel you have there!
    :cool2:

16. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    That has to be a misprint, I don't think I know any fishermen that would say "I don't need a new rod and reel" unless they were joking or maybe their wife was listining:lol:

17. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    :crazy: ok im sorry i guess maybe i do need another one:big_smile:

18. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    :waaaht: Oh Man I feel Btter Now Bill! Thought I was Gonna have to take Your Picture out of My Wallet.LOL. J.D.
    :big_smile_2:

19. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ok i just got 2 mitchell 306x s and i am very impressed at how smooth of a reel they are compared to the older 306 s iv always used. they list for 49$ but u can get new ones cheap on ebay, if youre an old mitchell fan u owe it to yourself to try one u will like it:cool2: :tounge_out:

20. fess

fess New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It is great to know there are some other mitchell fans in the boc. Mitchell reels is all i use. I have been fishing with mitchells since i was very young and love them. I have bought many other reels and the mitchell is the only reel for me. I have a mitchell 309 left hander that i dont use. a mitchell 300, and a mitchell avocet. the reels are awsome. I use them on the mitchell rods. although the rods arent as good as the reels.