Good rod and reel

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by o'boro cat hunter, Dec 25, 2009.

1. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    For skipjack,what do you guys use.Thanks Aaron

2. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    bump:smile2:

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I still use a zebco 33 but I think most people use spinning reels. Any reel that will throw light weights will work fine for skip fishing, the spinning reels won't work you as hard as an old zebco.

4. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    Got afew WalMart gift cards,looking for a decent set up for some Skips.Thanks

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I did use a ultra light spinning combo for awhile and it worked fine. But now use a bit more beefier outfit when catching 2 or 3 or 4 at a time on sabiki rigs or multiple jigs. The whole idea is bringing them in fast and with little or no effort, casting again and catch as many as possible in a short amount of time. When the skipjacks are in a feeding frenzy the bigger more beefier setup works great.

6. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    What we talking,6 or 6.5 foot rod,medium,medium heavy, 12 to 15lbs test,spinning.What you think about Mitchell.Like the heavier action thought,you know how they get sometimes @ the dam.Would like to be able to fight some of those stripers.Thanks:wink:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I use a 7' medium action combo with 12 #braid line for skippies. It works fine for me.

8. Camo Fish

Camo Fish New Member

State:
    United States
    7'0" Med lt action spinning rod (extra length for longer casts and better control of multiple jig rigs), 200 series spinning reel. I only use mono while fishing for skip jacks because of how tenacious a fighter they are. I seem to have a better landing ratio with mono than braid and less messes. I use braid for absolutely everything else.

9. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    Hows that work with bigger skips lets say 1 to 1.5 lbs.Like to fish 3 jigs or sab.rigs.Thanks again.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  10. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
  11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aaron the Rod, Reel, and line you mentioned will work just fine on Skipjack. Even two or three large ones at a time. Good luck on your choice.

12. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    Abu Garcia Cardinal 302/Fenwick Venture 7 foot, 2 piece, Medium rod.$65, what you think???? Thanks

13. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    that will work just fine

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It works real well for me when the skippies will cooperate.:wink: Which has been rare this year
    I usually fish 3- 1/16-1/8th oz jig a foot apart with a 3/4 -1oz sinker on the end a foot below the last jig. the 1st jig is a foot from the end of the braid. I use mono (8 or 10#) and tie dropper loops to attach the jigs and sinker to.I usually use a snap swivel on the end of my braided main line. Sabiki rigs work fine too but I hardly ever use them but a friend of mine uses them on the same rig. The braided line lets you get more distance on your cast.

15. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I use an ABU 5000 loaded with 12lb line on a med action 7ft ugly stick rod. casts well with 3 or 4 jigs, and when a striper or hybrid hits you have a good shot at landing it. Oh and the skips are still fun to catch on this rig.

16. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Thanks for the info everyone as I'm in the market for a new skippie rig myself.

17. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've never caught a skipjack in my life.:embarassed: I use 7 foot Shimano Claris rods with Shimano rear drag Sedonia reels with 10# p-line to bass fish. I assume this would work in the event i get where skipjack are at? In the mean time i'll continue to carry a cast net.:wink:

18. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    Man those Skippers are a blast.They fight like a Bass on the Juice.Fun,fun,fun.:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:Thanks to everyone on the advice went with the,Abu on a 7 foot rod,kind of got a thing for those Abu reels.

19. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I use either a zebco 33 on a 6foot med action rod or I use a shimano spinning reel and a 6ft med action rod..