Good Rod And Reel Combos

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by IndyMedicGuy, Jun 4, 2008.

1. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Is there any place to get good rob and reel combos. Been looking at the Penn 330GTI or the 345GTI reels. It would be nice to get a good combo instead of having to get a reel and rod seperate. Just curious on what you all reccomend.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I always buy my rods and reels separate, because I have never seen a combo that I like. Catfish Connection sells combos, as does Wal-Mart and other places, but once again, none to my liking. Good luck! Why is it important for you to have to buy a combo anyhow?
    BB in SC

3. ironcat

ironcat New Member

State:
    indiana
    get u a quantum medium heavy Big cat with a 6500c3 abu for a flattie set up and a 7' medium ugly stick for 30 at walmart for your channel pole.Awesome set ups I think.Hell if you got money buy you one of those B.O.C. custom rods from the website there pretty!

4. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    Hard to get a combo that is worth buying. If u got to the right bait shop not one thats all bass crap u can get some good tackle. I fish with the same combos that ironcat uses but if i go to the ohio river its heavy action rods and 7000 abu. I love my big cat rods and my surge.

5. catfish pro guide

catfish pro guide New Member

State:
    indiana
    we use abu's and muskie rods with lots of backbone on my boat

6. shadgut

shadgut New Member

State:
    camby, indiana
    muskie rods won't catch the biggens, maybe check your guide hand book and see what it says 4 blues over 20lbs.

7. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've yet to see a combo that I could recommend which would be one that I would buy for myself.
    I must agree with the others in that trying to find a combo worth buying is like trying to find that proverbial needle in a haystack!
    I've always preferred to buy my rod and reel separately just as I buy my line, hooks, lures, and other needed supplies separately. In most cases if you buy a combo your buying something that is advertised as being cheaper but will actually just make more money for the seller.
    While I am sure there are some that would find a combo that would work for them and their needs, as a serious "Catter" I buy my components separately as I've yet to find a combo that I would buy. Therefore as I mentioned earlier, I can't recommend any combos I have seen so far and that includes Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, Several Internet sites, walmart, other private fishing stores, ect.
    You may spend a bit more buying separately, but I think you get the better deal in the short and long run.
    Just my two cents worth.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have been using the sheakspear tidewater 30s and big 30$ fiberglass catfish rods for almost 20 years. they have done me no wrong, i catch loads of flatheads up to 50# on them without a hitch.

9. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would agree on buying rods and reels separately. While it is convienent to be able to purchase them both in one shot, with maybe a little discount even, it may not serve your purpose. There are lots of things to consider when buying...casting ability, backbone, action, water fished are all considerations.

It can be difficult to pick a combo that will best suit your needs in your given situation, most of us are best suited to pick both a rod and reel - separately, so we can pick the qualities we like best for each.