Good River w/bank fishing spots close to Goose Creek

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by jmprice44, Oct 31, 2007.

1. jmprice44

jmprice44 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I do most of my catfishing in lake Moultrie, but I hit an Oyster bar a couple of weeks ago during a shrimping weekend and my outboard is going to be out of commision for a few months. I was wandering if anyone had any suggestions of some good river bank fishing spots close to Goose Creek. Thanks.

2. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i used to fish across from the dock side restraunt at the tail race canal, used to do real good a couple of 20lbs and once a fish over 30 what ever you do remember the current and use heavy weights. good luck

3. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    hey john. welcome to the BOC. Like already mentioned above the tail race canal in Moncks Corner is a great spot. I used to fish there all the time when I lived there. Cut bait on a 3-4oz weighted carolina rig was a good setup for me and make sure you have a good rod holder as there are some monsters in there (especially if you make your way towards the dam). I got my PB there of a 42lb. and a buddy of mine got a 71lb there back a few years ago.

I dont know if you can still fish there or not but in Ashborough east (on dorchester rd.) the Ashley river runs right next to it (by the pond) and I always did pretty good there also (never caught much over 15# here but lots of 2-6#'S). I use to catch a few eels there as well and they make great cut bait.
    Good Luck and let us know how it works for you

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Jason, anyone that puts a man in his Pb spot is a good man in my book...Just wish I lived closer now ; )

5. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Why thanks Jim, but I dont live in charleston anymore and I am just helping out a fellow BOC member. Just wish I could find similar bank fishing holes here in the upstate.
    I do still go down every year or two to see old friends and occasionally still fish the tail race canal but it has been a couple of years and I think I am due again....lol

6. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    jason where do you live. if you need a place to fish, go to a bait shop and ask for advice

7. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    cliff I live in travelers rest and work in greenville. I do have a few spots for bank fishing but they just dont compare to the tail race canal especially for large fish. I cant say that I have found a true "honey hole" yet (growing up in charleston I had a few great fishing holes down there) but I have a couple of spots to fish at saluda and I occasionally camp up at keowee (which I can normally get some eaters for a meal or two). When the fishing is slow and the freezer is empty I occasionally go to some of the local pay ponds and catch a few to restock the freezer. Hate paying to fish but I love my fried catfish and these places I normally do pretty good at. I dont feel bad about keeping fish over 10#'s out of these places as they are restocked frequently and they are raised for this purpose. Although I still dont normally keep blues over 20#'s because there meat is a little tougher and just not as sweet tasting.

I went out friday night to saluda and caught some bream and crappie for bait and tried catfishing that night but only had two bumps all night. I figured since I had the live bait I would try one of the local pay ponds Saturday evening. I landed a 10# and a 13# blue within a hour of being set up. Then had something huge hit one of my rods and fought it for about 10-15 minutes got it to the bank and got a look at it (flathead had to be around 40#) and it got a look at me and took off again fought it for a few more minutes and my line broke (think it got a nick in the line when I had it up close to the bank around a pile of rocks). Would have been nice to net him and weigh him but I did end up catching 3 more after that 6#, 15# and 16#. Needless to say my freezer is stocked back up and I can go true cat hunting again.

8. JustinW

JustinW New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Went here for a short while on Sunday with no luck. Might try it again tonight for a while. Still not a single SC cat!