Good reason not to kill black snakes

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, May 5, 2009.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've always been told not to kill black snakes because they kill poisonous snakes, but this is the first time I've actually seen proof.

The rattler appears to still be rattling before he goes out of sight. :wink:

Click here, then click on top left thumbnail for larger size.

2. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    Cool Pics. Didn't know that about black snakes. Never killed because they keep down the rat population also.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    While I was mowing the yard last summer,I killed a black snake and told my husband. He gave me strict instructions not to do it again as they will keep the rattlers off our property.Since I don't need any poisoness snakes around I told him I'd not do it again.:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    We have ony ever killed 2 on purpose. One was a 6 footer that decided to live in our boat that we keep down at the pond. After multiple attempts to get him to leave and him being very set on staying he had to go. The other was a huge one that wanted to live very close to our house and did not want to leave as well.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Once many years ago, I killed a black snake by accident. Some kind of snake was getting eggs out of the chickens nest. I took a fish hook tied to a nylon string, placed it inside an empty egg shell and put it in a nest. Tied the end of the string to a nail on the wall. The next day I had caught a big black snake. The fish hook had pierced his skin from the inside.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dayton thanks for sharing an interesting video. I have been told that by my grandpa and my dad. It is the first time I have ever seen it. Appreciated.

7. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Though lookin at it gives me the heebie jeebies, I know that john always told me and the boys not to do that either for that reason, cuz he knows that I'd go for a gun after a snake in a heart beat and probably hurt myself trying to get to it! :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

8. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was raised callin them chicken snakes. They'll rob eggs and probably snatch a baby squirrle occasionally. I've seen several in trees. After watching the video he's entitled to a few eggs and a squirrel. They ain't gonna hurt ya but they might make ya hurt yourself.:eek:oooh:

9. skyhead

skyhead New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I strongly believe in not killing any type of snake, including venomous snakes. As long as you do not bother them, they will not bother you. Snakes play a very important role in the food chain, a Rattlers role as a venomous snake holds just as an important role as the black snake does. Would you rather have a rather large snake living close to your house, or sharing your house with rodents such as mice and rats? Only snakes I have ever killed are a few Garter snakes and a couple Bull snakes hit while mowing the lawn, and I felt terrible :(

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Black snakes are good. And if you didn't want my grandma to pinch your ear off you believed it too! lol As a kid I always wanted to be the big hunter, well one day my grandma yelled for me to come in the house. What do you want grandma I ask? I want you to get this black snake out of the house. Well in was in the kitchen so I told her that I would go get my rifle and shoot it. No you wont' she scolded in her fierce German accented tone. You are never to hurt one, they keep the rats and copperheads away, just get it out of the house so I don't step on it and fall. She was half blind in one eye and had a glass one in the other. Boy was my granny tough! lol I don't think that there was anything that old farm woman was scared of....:cool2:

11. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Around here you usually won't find copperheads where there are black snakes. Every one I find, I throw up under the house. I'd rather have them in the walls than the river rats.

12. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    thats is definately something I didnt knowaring would happen, thanks for sharing

13. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Amazing :crazy:..Never seen that before . Great pics thanks for sharing.:cool2:

14. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    As a kid growing up on a hog farm and running the woods I have never been afriad of much. Guess thats why I like snakes so much cause they dont like backing down either.. I used to walk the railroad tracks close to home in the summer and catch monster black snakes. Insted of corraling them up I would just stick out my hand till they bit it and realized that I didnt mean them any harm they would let go and just hang over my shoulder as I took them home. I would put them in the barn where we stored the feed, Under the house, in the garage, even under the hog troffs. Copperheads were a big problem in our area. I had to kill one due to its stubbornness to constantly spoke the horses. Chopped him ( Copperhead ) in half with a splittin maul.. Heck my sister when she was little woke up one night and a Black Snake had got in the back door and curled up next to her in a sleeping bag.. She woke me and my grandmother up and said there was a snake in her bed I went to hurt it cause I thought it tried to hurt her. My grandma yelled at me and scooped up the snake and put it out in their garage where he lived for about 6yrs and then when i was 14 they mooved to Alabama and took ol Samsom with them. he died in 98. He lived in their boathouse.. He was just a neat creature..

15. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    My Dad used to keep one in his house. You were likely to see it anywhere!

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hows the snake population around your parts? Here it's not so good. As late as the seventies there were still black snakes to be seen and quite often, now I only see one or two dead ones a year on the road. I don't see many snakes of any kind. Brown water snakes are the most common I guess, still see a few of those. It must go back to the pesticides killing the beginning of the food Chane. I saw one box turtle while mushroom hunting, used to be a lot of them around too. :sad2:

17. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Dang. That blacksnake strait up owned the rattler!

18. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jack, go to west TX. Rattlers are doing great as ever... even with all the rattlesnake roundups that happen every year. The 'animal rights activist' have been after those roundups for years. :smile2:

19. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    When I was growing up my Uncle who raised me kept black snakes in the basement to keep the varmits out. My aunt would not go down there so I had to be the one to get the vegtabels out of the cellar. They never bothered me. I heard they ate ratllers and copperheads, just never seen it before....Thanks