Good quotes my coach gave me.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by south_va_fisherman, Aug 15, 2007.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    Through out football practice today, which was 8am-5pm:eek:oooh:,our head coach kept throwing quotes at us. Thought i would share some with you..they seem great to live by.

Every day expect good things to happen. Luck favors the optimistic.

My favorite- How people play the game shows something about their character, How they lose shows all of it.

Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back...I believe Vince Lombardi said this one??

Thats about all i remember. Boy was it hot out there today, i heard 103 for a high tomorrow:sad2:

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That's how you get hair on your upper lip lad. If you want to grow hair fast, hope it is a 105 degrees.

3. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    If it doesnt burn off first!

4. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The quotes of your coach are very good,but I'm not sure how smart he is if he's practicing his team for 9 hrs. in 103 degree heat. I hope that is a typo that you made when you said he practiced you from 8AM to 5PM. I don't know of any coach that practices his team that long at one time. To me that is just insane. I've done some coaching in my time,but never would I even think about putting a team through that kind of torture. He'll be lucky to have enough players left to play the first game. Good Luck!

5. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I remember 2 a days.

6. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    yeah thats what we do, its a pain in the. 8-11:30 practice. 12-2 break/lunch. 2:30-5 practice. We have had 6 people quit in the first week.

7. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    One of my favorites, and the title of a song written by Tinsley Ellis and re-done by Jonny Lang: "A quitter never wins, and a winner never quites!"

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I had the same baseball coach for several years. He was poor, fat, smelled of BO most of the time and drove a Falcon Fury lll with no reverse. ( I know because the ball team was his reverse gear). Often times on the school bus in the morning I'd see him hitch hiking to work and a few miles later see that old Falcon sitting beside the road.
    He was looked down on by the other coaches and we got the crappy equipment and the worst practice fields every year but let me tell ya. Mr. Britt knew the game of baseball up one side and down the other. He lived it.
    He lost out in the draft every year but the few of us each year that returned were seasoned players under his tutelage. The returning veterans and the coach took the "rejects" and built a power house to contend with.

Our first practice every year was a 12 hour practice. Thats a solid 12 hours minus 30 minutes for lunch.
    If we lost a game , our next practice was brutal. It might only last 2 hours but you went home hurting bad.
    I can still see that one big arm throwing a ball up and the other big arm swinging a bat to either slam a line drive smoking between 2nd and 3rd or smashing a hard grounder into the pebble riddled infield straight for the pitcher (me).
    If you didnt stop the ball it was 3 laps around the field. If you stopped it, you got a another to make sure the first wasnt a fluke.

He could be brutal but there wasnt a player on any of his teams that didnt view him as their dad away from home. We always payed him back by making it to the championship game bruised and battered and with the same worn out equipment we started with year after year. We all carried alot of bruises from the first practice until the season was over.

I've had alot of coaches but he was the best. He took the game to another level in many ways. We played clean ball until the other team started playing dirty then we reflected on the practices devoted to dirty ball playing.
    We simply out played them all in a clean game or a dirty game. It was their choosing.

We drilled on the fundamentals over and over until each of us always knew what to do in any given situation without the deer in the headlight look.
    We chatted it up and threw the ball around the infield after a good play.

Reflecting back I think of things he did we didnt think about as kids.
    He rode the veteran's back double duty and put much of the coaching on the newcomers on the veterans. It built leadership into his teams from the mound to the bench.

I know I'll never forget his walks out to the mound and the words he said to me to settle me down. "Down the pipe baby, thats all you gotta do. Find your zone and get in it. If they crowd you back em up. You control this ballgame not me. I'm in the dugout.

We were 10, 11, and 12 year olds playing major league ball and full of trick plays.
    He used his pitchers to pull off alot of offensive plays. First 4 games at bat I'd get nothing but a bunt signal. "cant mess your arm up kid".
    Then all of sudden I get the swing away signal. Foul two off over the fence.
    2 strikes and no balls. The fielders back up thinking this guy can hit ( I'm bat blind). I get the drag bunt signal. Gutsy call there big fella but it earned you two runs and the lead.
    Thats the kind of ball we played. We primed em up for the fall.

Mr. Britt, uneducated, poor as he was, made a lasting impact on alot of kids.
    I'm not the only one that hasnt forgotten that he was the best coach coaching against the odds but always in the championship game win or lose.

9. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    ah yeah the sweet smell of an overcrowded hot locker room after 2 a days. you know what they say though...

its better to sweat in training than bleed in war.

10. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I remember our coach saying just because score board indictates who is winner doesnt mean it applys to you or your teammates:tounge_out:

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    my all time fav. down @ the 1/2 "i'll tell ya what boys... after the game i'll take ya to McDonalds. then we can tape all your straws together so you can suck it the $^$% up!".