Good pond or lake catfishing in St Louis or Chicago area?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by fishinnstudyin, Nov 26, 2006.

1. fishinnstudyin

fishinnstudyin New Member

State:
    MO
    Hi, new to the website and fairly new to catfishing but not fishing. I live in Fairview Hts, 10 minutes from St. Louis, MO, during my school breaks and while I'm at college I'm in Evanston, IL, about 20 minutes up from Chicago.. I'm really looking to go catfishing during my winter break in the St. Louis area. Does anyone know of any good catfish lakes other than the Missouri or Mississippi River? I would love to fish there, but I'm on a college kid's budget so I don't have either the tackle or the boat to succeed.. I'm hoping to fish for medium size Channel while I save up my money for a heavier catfish rod and reel. If anyone needs and can't find a fishing buddy around Christmas time due to the cold, no matter how nasty the weather I'm willing to brave the cold to keep company. Hope to learn a lot from you experienced fishermen.

Also, does anyone know of any accessible bank fishing areas about a hour or less from the Chicago area? Hope to go fishing there as well come spring time. I read on a post earlier that the Fox River and some of the lakes around it had good fishing, but is it good to bank fish??

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and hopefully reply back with great advice

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    first off welome to the BOC john ,
    look up baldwin lake on mapquest
    year round fishing .
    several brothers here fish this powerplant lake .
    we can get together this fall/winter sometime and fish it.
    its either a boat lake or walk the bank after parking in one of the two parking lots
    some people take a bike and ride or walk up to the warm water discharge on the north east corner of the impoundment.
    there is some big flatties in here . also a lot of dink channels:lol:

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I just wanted to say welcome to the BOC. I have no idea of the area you are refering to though.

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Cant'really help you any on your search of the St.Louis/Chicago area.I'm farther North.
    However I do want to say Welcome to the family of the BOC. We have a lot of members from Il. and I'm sure they will get you to some real good fishing areas.Go into the IL.Forum on the BOC an d check it out.It might help you out also.
    AGAIN WELCOME:0a25:

5. fishinnstudyin

State:
    MO
    Thanks, my parents recently moved from St Louis County to Fairview Heights about a year ago, so I still have a Missouri Fishing License. If I plan to go fishing in December, it may be best for me to purchase a 1 day license.. I'm looking to purchase some decent quality rods and reels to use for years, but my college student budget definetely hinders me from purchasing the pricey models. Do any of you know of any good deals? I'm actually trying to get my hands on a Penn 209 or Abu 6500 from Ebay. The Penns go for around 30-35 used while the abus go for about 35-50 used. Can't find any good rods, so I'm probably just gonna purchase one from the Bass Pro Shop in St. Charles, MO. Because I own a sedan, I won't be able to get any long rod b/c it wont fit in my trunk, so I'll probably look at the Ugly Stik Tiger 2-piece 8 foot medium tiger rod. I wander if it'll snap from any fish over 40-50 pounds? If any fishing store around has any reels or rods on sale that you might want to help out a friend with, I'll be much obliged. You guys are quite helpful.. If there are any of you planning on going fishing in St. Louis/Southern Illinois a little before or after Christmas and could use the company of an eager disciple, holler a message here. I'm out of the country right now, and the first thing I'm looking forward to after four months is fishing

6. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I used to go to Starved Rock to fish the Illinois river and also the DesPlains river but these are a little south from Evanston. Try the Chain-o- Lakes on the Fox river, that is where I when fishing for the fisrt time ever, nice area and good fishing too.

One more thing, it may be too cold/icey to fish that far north by now so be carefull.

7. fishinnstudyin

State:
    MO
    I recently discovered two lakes that may be stocked with channel catfish. Peabody King State Park and FRANK HOLTEN STATE PARK. Has anyone fished here and if so how is the fishing??

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC John. I would agree with the post on Baldwin Lake.If you have a lot of gear to take you might want to bring sometype of cart. If fishing from the bank at the warm water discharge. Is's a long walk.:big_smile:

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi

peabody riverking strip pits do have some great fishing but i havent caught any big cats out of there yet but i think they are there heres a couple pics of some peabody cats below here and also frank holten i have fished quite a few times but its a shallow lake and although there are some fair sized channels there you might wanna go with a buddy as the town is not the safest to be in .
    ive taken my sons with me in the boat and its ok but if we stay too late and its dark i dont like being around town after sundown.
    another nice lake actually 2 of them is washington county , nashville il
    and pyramid state park same area as the washington county lakes
    the strip pits are very deep some spots are over 100feet
    weve had some luck in the shallows in summer time weather but last janurary or feburary it warmed up a little and we went and caught dozens of little dink channels they are fun to catch but nothing to brag about LOL
    ill post a pic of the biggest channel we got at nashville to.

Attached Files:

10. fishinnstudyin

State:
    MO
    thanks for the advice.. i was eyeing Frank Holten but I noticed it was in East St. Louis as well... oh, mapquest says Baldwin Lake is an hr from my house at Fairview Heights. When you guys go there, do you bank fish or use boat? I keep reading posts about the long walk to the warm water discharge, so I may just borrow a wagon to bring there.. How long exactly is the walk? 15 minutes? is there a depth map that I could find of the Peabody Lake or the Baldwin Lake?? btw, you've been most healthful answering my questions

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John in your origional post yo stated you were looking for some penn 209 reels and rods. Have you looked under one of BOC sponsors for this reel? Catfish Connection has those reels for 46.50 new. In ref. to the distance of walk at Baldwin you might be able to walk with a cart in 20-30 min. Baldwin is blessed with a variation of depths. I use a boat when I fish the lake but there is a lot of people who use the bank. Hope this helps.:smile2:

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    ive taken the boat about a half a dozen times and only bank fished once
    ive got mixed feeling about the boat in cold weather and if the wind gets
    to sailing across this open water the waves get pretty rough.
    i havent learned how to drift fish yet with 3 people in the boat without
    a lot of tangleing of lines.
    i need to learn how with the drift sock/5 gallon buckets to make it drift
    sideways.
    we been putting our anchors out and trying to stay in one area
    we've caught a few this way but i think we could do better drifting properly.

since i havent walked the walk around to the hot water discharge
    i couldnt tell you how long it takes i would guess a bit morethan 15 minutes.actually i just got of the phone with a guy that has walked it and rode a bike the length.
    he says about a half an hour to get to the end appx a mile.
    he said he would walk to till he got to the portapotty area(that made for a fun dig or two):lol: and he would start fishing from that point down towards the outlet , or if noone was there yet he would walk to the end and fish his way back .
    but he wasnt catfishing though , he was going for stripers.
    there is some big flatties in there and i would guess there are blues although i cant say for sure . it is fed by the kaskaskia river so i cant see how it couldnt have them in it.
    the park closes at 4 now and i think it dosnt open till 8 now this time of year.
    kaskaskia is another to put on your list but so far it has me skunked
    but i seen other pull em out i think i might have caught a couple 2 pounders
    ill try and put a pic of the flattie a differant friend of mine got out of baldwin this past summer it was appx 40 #

click this to see it its at the bottom of this thread
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19201

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I

I fish Baldwin from the bank quite a bit during the winter. It takes me about 40 minutes to walk from the parking lot all the way down to the NE corner where the hot water discharge area is. The porta potties are at approximately the halfway point.

14. fishinnstudyin

State:
    MO
    woah. its a good hike away.. I was planning on bringing some of my little cousins along, but they'd probably kill me. An hr drive there, a 40 minute walk each ways.. I might have to scratch Lake Baldwin off my list of places to fish temporarily. 40 minute walk, thats about 2 1/2 miles. people walk 15 minutes per mile... hehe, So if I plan on fishing there, I'll be spending 3 hrs and 20 minutes driving/walking, that means I need to spend double the amount fishing.. basically, if I go fishing there, I'm definetely gonna be there from sunup to sundown to make the most out of it.

15. musky76

musky76 New Member

State:
    il
    i use nothing but ugly stick rods. for musky for king salmon flathead you name it. As a matter of fact i use my salmon rods for my flathead fishing.

16. musky76

musky76 New Member

State:
    il
    never fished a power plant lake ill have to try,do people eat what they catch and are the fish safe to eat