Good Places to Camp

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ryang, Jan 3, 2007.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ok, for our tax returns or bonus or both who knows we are getting a good tent and some camping supplies. Where are there good places that my wife and younger son would have fun hiking or swiming (pool she hates the lake water LOL). I was thinking Salt Fork for one I know that has some good places to camp and hike but really dont know any other places. Thanks for your input.

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    well man were abouts are u located in ohio.. a good place is East Fork.. off of 32... decent fish... like my cousin has caught some 40-50 lb cats from there.. and we have caught some nice 20's... Rocky fork is decent.. dunno about rigth now as cold as it is...... A warm place to go.. that has sand and stuff nice spot to set up a tent and fish is at the DP&L powerplant on the ohio river... off of St Rt 52 if thats not too far of drive.. i think if u take a throw net.. u can get some shad.. maybe skip jack if they are still running.. contact me if interested in fishing in this spot... ill tell ya a secret spot to fish at there.. lol :) and directions.. GL where ever you go!

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    florida , coasta rica , jamaica , corpis cristy :lol: any where but here this time of year

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Matt Im in Central Ohio so most places are fair game :big_smile: Also this will be June time frame or later a couple of times this year.

Thanks Chuck LOL

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    ah ok june , how about ken lake .

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    hmm i hear Cowan lake is killer for spawning carp.. if interested in that... umm Rocky is good around then... go to the fishermans dwarf... or what ever its called... catch them all night 5-20 lbs.. the river is good if u can hook up with a big boat with the fish finder dept finder and all that stuff... umm thats about all i can think of off hand man... i know some people fish at lake lorili or what ever its called like up off I 71 or 275 i forget...

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I also forgot to mention this place would have to have plenty of bank fishing since I have no boat.

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Gary, Dillon has a campground and alot of hiking trails in the park. There is also a campground at Ellis dam on the Muskingum just north of Zanesville. Kind of small and no trails, but it is right at the dam on the river.

Might try this link and search for activities and such. Should be able to find plenty of places.
    http://www.ohiodnr.com/parks/

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Jason while Dillon would be good for me LOL, my wife wants more than just fishing (huh :eek:oooh: ). Right now Im thinking probably Salt Fork or Mohican (thats where she wants to go). Doesnt really matter too much Ill take anywhere.

10. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Any of the number of camp grounds on the mohican river in ashland county.We have been going to mohican wilderness for 20 years .

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Don that is where my wife wants to go since they have a pool LOL.

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    For years we have enjoyed going to Pike Lake State Park about an hour south of Columbus, gorgeous scenery, lots of trails, campgrounds, never crowded, a small lake that is best by shore and a beach there. Not many places have a Swimming pool, there costly to upkeep.

Another cool place is about 4 hrs south of Columbus is Babcock State Park in WV, ( near the New River) they have cabins, along a beautiful mtn stream filled with trout, small lakes, great trails, a swimming pool and also a riding stable for horse trailriding. Its another favorite for us.

Salmonid

13. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Mohican is a great place to take the family. There is plenty of things for everyone. The state park campground is good especially if you can get one of the sites right along the river. You also can go canoeing, ride go carts, play putt putt, and there is some riding stables there close. You definitely should take the Mrs. there. Also know of a good place in W.V if you want to drive about 5 hours. Plenty of mountain hiking and caves to check out. Not good for catfishing but the trout fishing can be excellent at times.

14. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You might check out Houston Woods State park. Borders butler and preble co. They have quite a bit to do there, you can rent boats, horses, bikes play golf, frisbee golf, fish, swim, nice campground and lots of trails to hike.