Good places around Charleston?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TXCatfishinSC, Jul 14, 2009.

1. TXCatfishinSC

TXCatfishinSC New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Looking for a good place to go catfishing around the Charleston area. It has to be easy to get to and please remember that I don't have a boat so it has to be bank or pier fishing. Thanks!
    Oh, and "around the Charleston area" I mean preferrably close, within a 30 minute, maybe an hour drive.
    Thanks!

2. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    I would think that Lake Marion, Lake Moultrie would be your best bet anytime to catch catfish...it should only be about a 45 min from Charleston...tops.

3. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I've caught good fish in the tail race canal across from gilligans in moncks corner. There is good fishing off the point at short stay if you are military or have DOD friends that can get you on. The canal between marion and moultrie is good bank fishing but is most likely a little over an hour. I've heard of people doing well off of bonneau but i have never tried it. In one evening of about three hours I caught a 16 and 26 lb blue by the boat ramp on the tail race canal, so i would give that a try.

4. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    I have fished all those areas many times and a few more not mentioned.
    Im gonna give him the guided tour....:smile2:

Surprised someone didnt mention the trestle down by the dam....I caught my biggest Blue to date there...40lbs.This was sometime back as I have been surf fishing in recent years.

Also enjoyed fishing the Rediversion canal near St Stevens.I will be hittin that spot up right directly.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  5. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Aaron, welcome to the BOC. When I was in the Navy I was stationed in Charleston. I know the base is closed now but if you can get around those piers, hold on to them poles. I caught everything from catfish to flounder.

6. tillmac

tillmac New Member

State:
    SC
    Definitely try the tailrace canal. The state record blue, and former world record, came from there. Fish the left side (as you face the back of the dam) and fish about 75 yards below the boat ramp.

7. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Are you talkin about the boatramp at the restaurant or the ramp that comes out the creek behind Anglers Mart? That creek to the ramp side has paths up thru the woods where you can fish on the side you are suggesting.....You can go or used to be able to go quite a ways towards the dam on that side.I can show you all these spots Aaron.Must take a roadtrip soon.

8. tillmac

tillmac New Member

State:
    SC
    The boat ramp at the restaurant. The guy that owned it showed me where the lady caught the fish - the place I told you about. She and her husband were tied up and she was reading a book or magazine when that hog hit.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2009
  9. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    I dont know if you were around there when the old man had the baitshack when it was The Dock Restaurant,but there were alot of big fish caught right there and straight across at the landing on the other side.
    Mr Lijewski caught the big one all the way up where the tailrace turns into the river,The 109lb 4 0z fish.Many many big cats have been caught there all along the canal.We are just gettin back into the cats and need to roadtrip it up there and look around. I always liked the trestle down near the dam,but sometimes they got mad at the fishermen and wouldnt let folks down there.Most times they would.Access is Railroad property.

10. tillmac

tillmac New Member

State:
    SC
    Lowcountry, I've only been in the tailrace once and the guy running the restaurant, which I think was called the Dock now that you mention it, told me the record catch was below the ramp where I described. He even went outside and pointed down to the right at a spot about 75 yards down. He had two 50 pounders in a tank in his lobby and this was more than 10 years ago. Whether he was correct or not, I have no idea. He also said the fish kit the wife's rod but the hubby landed it.

11. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Interesting.You hear alot of things,I cant say I heard that one before,but anything is possible.The story I got was he caught the fish on a bass rod on 17lb test..(was counted as 20lb) down by the river at the end of the Tailrace.Dont know if the wife was there or not.The baitshack was pretty much closed up by then if I remember right,but it was still called The Dock at that time.A man told me he was fishing near there the night George caught the fish and claimed he saw him come up the canal from the river.
    Never was able to meet him and ask em.Thanks for the post.

12. matt22va

matt22va New Member

State:
    Kingsland, Ga
    I do remember reading in Field and Stream or something of the sort when I was a young pup about it being on a quantum bass rod and reel that he snagged from the bottom of the lake and cleaned up. I thought I remembered 12lb test but could've been 17, either is impressive!

13. TXCatfishinSC

TXCatfishinSC New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have a DOD parking sticker for work so I may be able to get into the short stay area. Keith, did you say you heard it was now open to everyone? If not, I can probably get us in there. I also figured you knew quite a few places, but asked just in case there were any "hidden" spots people knew about.
    Thanks to everyone for your info! Every little bit helps!

14. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    No,I checked into it yesterday and it is still active duty,retired,dependents,etc.

I cant wait to wet a line!

No worries man.Heck it was a good discussion.I guarantee I dont know every good spot.

15. tillmac

tillmac New Member

State:
    SC
    Lowcountry (Keith), I tried to search and find an article or post saying where he caught the record, but no luck. It was a 20 lb test record and I found the picture of George and the fish. I also saw where George passed away last year.

Attached Files:

16. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

State:
    sc
    Yeah,I have the pic of him with the fish hanging from the bulldozer.That pic was taken at Atkins landing on the lake,and the fish was in a freezer there for quite some time.I saw the fish,but never met Mr Lijewski.That was one big muther of a fish.It was pretty much the whole length of a chest freezer and over half as wide.

17. TXCatfishinSC

TXCatfishinSC New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    It's true! I've seen the picture in person! Amazing fish!