Good place for kids?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by leatherpuke, Sep 4, 2009.

1. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey guys,

Anybody know of a good place to get the kids into some bluegills or other panfish around the JC, manhattan, Ft Riley area?

I've heard about a pond that is suppose to be near the spillway at milford but I've never seen it. And I know about moon lake on Ft Riley but I'm sure it's going to be full of drunk GIs all weekend.

Any other good ponds around?

Tight lines,
    Bennett

2. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I wouldn't waste your time at Moon Lake, been there many times to catch bait and it was sparadic at best (aswell as packed). I would go to Geary SFL. It's about 5 miles South of I-70 on 77. I pulled a lot of good hand size perch out of there. I would work the bank on the East side of the lake with the panfish worms you can get a Wal-Mart. Good Luck!

3. outdoorsaddict

outdoorsaddict New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Pillsbury crossing is a spot a few miles southeaset of Manhattan off 177. Amazing green sunfish and some serious nice bass also. Might be some folks there but typically you have got the place to youself. Fish and game has tried to put a stop to the big drinking/partying events of days past. I've not fished there since I was in school but used to be terrific fishing hole that was totally overlooked.

Check out some of the pics and get good directions to the spot. Very kid friendly. http://www.naturalkansas.org/pillsbur.htm

If you wind up taking them there let me hear about the trip. I miss that place the most of all my school days.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Bennett, the pond down by the outlet is called "The Gathering Pond", when you go down the road to the spillway, instead of turning right to the dam, just keep going straigt, through the gate you'll see, it's about a half mile back there, with the road going all the way around. There a couple fishing docks and some gravel piers, plus just some shore spots with benches. They keep it stocked with Catfish too. Great place to take your kids.

5. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That sounds good. Think I might take the kids down there this afternoon. :big_smile:

6. leatherpuke

leatherpuke New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Looks interesting, I might have to do some recon out there and check it out. Thanks.