good place for chubs

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by SRWELDON, Jun 18, 2009.

1. SRWELDON

SRWELDON New Member

State:
    iowa
    Anyone know of a good place around Iowa City for catching chubs for bait? Any info would be great. Planning a day of fishing next wednesday on the great miss. Hoping to catch a monster.

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Not sure about Iowa city but any creek that is a decent size will hold chubs, they are kinda like catfish in a sense, they will be holding near cover such as rock pilings, brush in the creek ect. What we use are 1/64 jigheads with a tiny peice of crawler, the jigheads have to be tiny. Good luck and welcome to the BOC!

3. aicenbice

aicenbice New Member

State:
    Iowa
    normally, the bait shop at the coralville res has chubs, but i was there last night and all they had were crawdads, so i'm not sure. if you find a good place, let me know b/c i was wanting to find a good spot to either catch or buy chubs around here.

4. SRWELDON

SRWELDON New Member

State:
    iowa
    Aicenbice are u talking about funcrest bait shop? When I have gone there before they only had frozen shad. If u r talking about a different spot let me know.

5. aicenbice

aicenbice New Member

State:
    Iowa
    yeah, it was funcrest. i've seen small chubs in the tank by the register, but they don't have any that are decent enough size to catch cats with. most of them i've seen are only about 2" long. that's why i'm looking, as well, for a spot to catch live ones. most of the rivers and creeks around have somewhat of a "sparce" supply of baitfish. either way, bluegills work for me, either cut or live. i've had some luck lately with bullheads. it's nice with them because they won't die in the current, whereas i've had bad luck leaving a 'gill hooked thru the tail all nite, and keeping them alive.

6. Foreverdark

Foreverdark New Member

State:
    Iowa
    As Flathead_Steve said, just about any decent size creek or small size river will hold chubs. Around here the English river flows along the edge of a public access timber and is only about 30ft wide with the water only spanning 10ft or so. We stand on the wooden bridge and use our ultralight's. We just put a small splitshot about a foot or so above a small trout hook with a small piece of crawler. Other times we set out our minnow traps with crumbled crackers in em, this method for some reason does not produce a whole mess of chubs.