Good Ohio fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 15, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    please help me out i normally fish ponds but this year im going to be going after big flats and blues can anyone give me a couple of good spots in ohio

2. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
    below dams and mouths of streams are good places. if you know of a resturant on the rive down stream a little it is a good place to for big cats.:0a23:

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Where in Ohio are you? It's a pretty big State.

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    BTW, Welcome to the BOC Ohio Bro! :big_smile:

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Luke! Tell us what part of Ohio your in and I am sure someone will help you out with some areas to try.

6. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Luke. The only place for blues is the Ohio River. I don't fish the Ohio but someone who does may offer some advice. I personally like the Muskingum River for flatheads. Let us know where you are located so we can give you some advice on where to go.

7. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its close to columbus i just want to know maybe some good lakes or rivers

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The Scioto river is a good place place for flats and the occasional blue maybe one or two blues a year is what i get but channels and flats are all day and nite btw welcome to the BOC

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    welcome to boc..l fish the muskingum mostly for flatheads...buckeye lake is another lake not far from columbus that has nice channels and some flats...if you find any blues let me know, i'd like to start fishing for them as well.:cool2:

10. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    WHAT AREA OF OHIO ARE YOU FROM?

11. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I fish the Scioto north of Circleville. There is a boat launch off of Rt. 22 in Circlville. Have'nt caught any flatheads there, fish mostly for channels. Have caught some from 5 to 12lbs. in that area. I use cut shad and sucker. It makes it a whole lot easier if you have a boat. There are some spots you can only get to by boat. Unless you want to spend half the day walking.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    if you meant me, southeast ohio.

13. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Head down to Cincinnati and go after some monster blues on the Ohio River! U'll be addicted after the first one.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Since you live near Cbus you can catch channels up in the north end of hoover in the stump field where the creek comes in. They catch alot on shrimp I hear. But if it was me I'd use cut shad or sucker etc. Its muddy up there so use a float to keep the bait just above the mud. Buckeye is another good location, Liebs island usually has tons of small shad swimming around the area where the creek/canal comes in. For Flats you are gonna have better luck on one of the rivers Scioto, Muskingum. We are having an Ohio gathering on the Muskingum river/Dillon resivor in may, 18-19-20. Come out and see us. You will get all the help you can handel.

15. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The Scioto is a great place for flatheads and sounds like it is close. I have caught a lot in the 20 to 40 pound range and lost some that were a lot bigger. If you have a boat that will run in shallow water you can put in at the 665 canoe ramp. Make sure you have good live bait. I use hognose suckers, big chubs and yellow bellys.

Good luck.

16. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cats Gone Wild

How is the boat ramp at 22? I have thought about starting there a few times. How is the parking?

Thanks

17. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    The parking lot is paved but the ramp kinda sucks though. It is made of gravel and dirt. Not bad when it is dry, but after a good rain or high water, your better off with 4wd. Also be careful going up river from the ramp, alot of stucture just below the surface that you will smack your motor with. When the water is low you can see it, when it's high you can't. Once you get to know that stretch it is'nt too bad. I have a 14 ft. deep v with a 9.9. Have gotten it thru 1.5 ft. of water. I have made it from 22 all the way up to the golf course on 23 north of Circleville.

18. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Are there a lot of log jams a brush? I will try it sometime this spring to scout for flatheads. Its the same way where I put in. Alot of logs, etc. in the water. Once you have been through it a few times its ok.

19. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Up river is the mouth of the Big Darby creek, heard that is a good place. Have'nt fished it enough to really know. Up about three miles is an old bridge, lots of snags and log jams. Water drops to around 22 ft. Lot of the structure sits in about 10 to 15 ft. of water. Have caught channels up to 12 lbs. in the area. Don't know too much about the flathead fishing. I fish alone alot so fishing the area at night is tough for one person. Gets really dark with no city lights out there. I just asume go to the Muskingum river in Zanesville. Better flathead fishing and good light. There is also a private ramp south of Circlville off Canal rd. I don't yet know how you get access to it. Heard if you pay some fee to the Pickaway Co. Historical Society you get the combo # or a key to the gate. But I don't know for sure.

20. Catstalker07

Catstalker07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have fished alone at night up above and right below 762. There are a lot of big flatheads in that area. We should hook up some night and fish for flatheads. Is the area you are talking about