Good Night on the Hocking

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by HRCats, Jul 11, 2009.

1. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My wife, daughter and i floated the Hocking yesterday. After reaching our halfway point destination we set up camp on a nice bend full of logs. I was fishing the middle of the logpile and my daughter set up below the logpile. After fishing for only 30 minutes my daughter hooked up on her pb channel. The fish was 28" and weighed 6 1/2lbs.
    Around 8 i got my first hit in the logs. I pulled out a 10 lb flathead tha looked like someone had beat it with a bat. Sat there for 3 hrs after that with only a small hit here and there. Tried to reel in my one reel and was snagged so i broke it off to get out. While attempting to rerig i look up and see my catmaxx rod buried with the tip almost touching the water. Grabbed it and felt a very nicefish on but it got in the logs quick and broke me off.
    I finally rigged my other pole and got it back out with a shad head on. Started rerigging my catmaxx when the other pole buried. This time i set the drag tight to keep the fish out of the logs. Got a hold of the pole and pulled back to set the circle hook....fish on!!! I did manage to keep this one out and landed it with my daughters help a short time later. A very nice flathead measuring 42" long and weighing 40lbs. It had one small sore on its back. A very nice night indeed!!!
    Pics will be added one week from today. Forgot my digital and bought a disposable from walmart. Took it in today and apparently a disposable takes 1 week to get the pics back. What happened to 1 hr pics????

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cant wait to see the pics, and fish that spot!

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If anyone desered a good fish this year it's Roger, he has put in the time and work...Glad to see it paid off for him.

4. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    way to go roger on a nice fish can i ask you did you catch him above or below whites mill cause i have never caught a flat above reps to ya

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Seems like not many on hear fish the Hocking, lets keep it that way!:big_smile:

6. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hear ya!! The pressure on there is almost non-existent in some areas.

7. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    My Father used to fish the hocking as a kid and I have family in Athens....i plan to fish it at some point but with this summer being as hectic as it has been, who knows when that will be. Congrats on a good fish, and on spending time with your family :big_smile:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the awesome night Roger! Sounds like a honey hole!!!:wink: rollo

9. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    congrats!!! take a forty any day!!

10. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i think there is very few that fish for cats most fish for whatever bass, saugeyes

11. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Bass constitute a sport fish? I thought they were bait.....:smile2::wink:

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Roger, when I was working down in Gallopolis, I saw the sign for Zaleski. Had no clue till then where it was! LOL.. Keith, I passed thru Nelsonville hopeing to see sign of ya! Boot factory was a lookin good!:wink: Pretty funny to get to travel for work like I do, and every town you cross brings a BOC friend in mind. :big_smile: rollo

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Roger dont just live in the woods...He lives way back in the woods!:big_smile:

14. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    you workin down on rt 50 in athens i know shelly is doing that job

15. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    thats what i use them for

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No I was down on I think Rt 35. And also did some county work below Gallopolis. Pretty nice park they have down there. rollo

17. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the fish roger.congrats to the daughter for her pb also.

18. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    And i have seen on another site guys whining about catfisherman on this river. i'm still pretty upset about the pics and walmart. Not only was i wanting to share with you guys but i too really wanted to see them!

19. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Congrats on the 40 and all the action you got. I canoed the hocking years ago, it's a very scenic little river. Looking forward to the pictures.

20. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats Roger on you and your daughters good fish! Cant wait to see the pics!