Good night on Susquehanna River main stem

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by saros2500, Aug 5, 2009.

1. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Got out last night with my buddy on the susquehanna... between york haven and safe harbor. Top fish were a fat 20, 17, 16, 15, 14, and two 13's. Had a blast and did real well considering the full moon. Can't wait for the action to pick up over the next few weeks.

Attached Files:

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Looks like the actions already picked up for you.Nice fish,Congratulations!:wink:

3. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    nice job, good ta see bigger fish on the move again

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    nice job Louis, congrats on a good night.

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    LOUIS how many would u have to have caught to think the bite was hot ?:wink::smile2:

6. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    haha you're right i worded that wrong. how bout this... i'm happy the spawn's over and can't wait for all this good fishing we're about to have.

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Good work:wink:

8. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Nice Flattys Louis! :big_smile: Thanks for posting the pics! :cool2:

9. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    and just in case anybody was wondering, i have never kept or killed a flat in all my life. when i get the urge to dine on some catties, ill take an 8 pound channel. let them flathead go so we can all continue to enjoy these awesome monsters! Good fishing and let us know how y'all are doin! I love seeing a successful report from my home river

10. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Man, you gotta share some of your secrets.

I was out for 4-1/2 hours tonite on the Susky below Holtwood and we caught two tiny channels.

We tried chicken liver, beef liver, crawlers, and shrimp. The only two that were caught were on crawlers.

I've never done this poorly before. :sad2:

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    You were rippin some lips there louis! Awesome catch indeed!

12. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats for a nice days haul.

13. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not knocking your fishing style, but you'll have a tough time getting a nice flattie to bite those baits. If you think there's a fishable population of flats near you, throw live bait or FRESH cut bait. It's the only way to go. IMHO

14. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    saros2500 is right, those baits will only produce channels and bullheads, leave those baits at the store and bring about 20 frisky sunnies or gills about 4-6 inchs long, hook them thru the tail just above the anal fin not hittin the spine and killing them, this WILL produce better quality fish, large channels will also hit these baits along with the flatty's:wink: beef up your hook size to 8/0

15. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    well put lenny. ive learned over the years that it's very hard to overdo it with trophy cats. 8/0 hooks are never too big. Heavy line will also ensure that you don't lose that precious trophy to a rock or a snag. Be persistent!

16. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    saros and len,

It looks like I may have to do just that. Finding piles of small bluegills isn't a problem.

You recommend an 8/0 hook. Would a circle hook be the best design?

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i use 8/0 gamma's octopus circle hooks, just remember that these hooks self hook so ya don't need to cross the fishes eyes, let the fish run and point the rod tip toward the fish and just start reelin, the hook will set them self, they take a little bit of practice but these are all i use

18. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    i use the exact same hook exclusively

19. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Understood on the hooks. All I use are Gamakatsu hooks, and my local guy has a nice selection up to 8/0.

Thanks for all your help fellas. I appreciate it. I am sure that after awhile answering the same newb questions over and over must be a PITA. :big_smile:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  20. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    One more question. Do you rig the gills on a Carolina Rig with a sliding weight?