Good night / Bad night

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by RonSki, Sep 9, 2009.

1. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I guess I was bound and determined to not catch any fish tonight. After sitting in the rain for an hour trying to catch channel cats, I moved to a new spot and put out 2 rods with cut bait and one with a 6" rock bass. A half hour later, the rod with the rock bass on it starts bouncing funny so I pick up the line and it's getting slack, pull some more line and I feel THUMP. Set the hook, feels like a good fish but swimming at the boat. A couple seconds later the fish comes off.:sad2: That's the first flat I've ever lost and the only one I've ever had bite before it was dark. Oh well. So I pull the channel cat rods in & put live bait out on all of them. Not too long and the rod on the left starts screaming. Pick it up & set the hook, OH CRAP!! I never tightened the drag down! Haven't done that in years. Fish #2 gone.:angry: So I sit for an hour with nothing else going on. I've given myself till 9:30 before I move. It's 9:27 & the middle rod starts screaming. Set the hook & YAY, finally got everything right, so far. This fish is fighting REALLY hard. Get it up to the boat & it's snagged in the side about 6 inches behind the gill plate. Just as I get this fish up to the boat the rod on the right starts bouncing. I know it's a fish but I've gotta get this one in first! Hurry & unhook the snagged 9 pounder & pick up the other pole. Fish is STILL on there! This one's 15 pounds. Just glad I got my act together now. Sit till 10:45 & move to another spot with no luck. Move again, almost midnight now, gotta leave by 1:15am. 12:30 comes & I'm begging for another fish & the left rod just goes crazy. Set the hook on that one and the drawstring on my hooded sweatshirt wraps around the reel handle like 10 times.:confused2: Get that undone and the fish goes around my back anchor rope. Get THAT undone and finally get the fish in the boat. This ones 16 pounds. Waited another 20 minutes, but I think I'm all out of time.
    Really a good night, but soured by losing the first two. I think both of them were all my fault, but I guess I made up for it in the end. Too bad the boat isn't going to get a chance to dry out before I go back! :wink:

Attached Files:

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Way to go Ron!!! 2 out of 4 ain't bad,I have yet to boat a flat this year, lots of channel cat though,but the years not over yet. Thanks for the report and pictures,J.D.

3. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Even after all that you still got two fish in the boat. I would say you had a pretty good nite.

4. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice cats Ron. Sounds like you had quite a circus going on for a spell there.

5. KATTERMAN

KATTERMAN New Member

State:
    OKLA
    congrats ron on the flats,sounds like some of my nights them are the ones to remember LOL,thanks for sharing story and pics

6. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    congrats on the flattties ron

7. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks everyone, it WAS a circus. I actually caught 3, I didn't take a picture of the first, smaller one that was snagged cuz I had a fish on the other pole at the same time. I know, it's a lot to kep track of!:wink:
    I think losing the first one still hurts me the most. I kinda think THAT was a big one. I'd been experimenting with a little bit smaller hook, a 6/0 octopus instead of the 8/0 I've always used, and I keep thinking that's why the fish came off. Normally I hook most of them in the corner of the mouth, or close, but between the snagged one and the last one I think I messed up. The last one I caught, the hook was 100% around the lower jaw, meaning the gap of the hook was full of jawbone. Now, I'm guessing, but if I were to hook anything bigger than that 16 pounder, the hook wouldn't be big enough to get all the way around the jawbone and wouldn't be able to hold. Am I thinking right?? Or is this just dumb luck? Either way, I won't be using those smaller hooks anymore. The first fish acted different from the rest and I'm REALLY not into losing big ones!:sad2:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ron thanks for sharing your interesting fishing trip with us. Circus:smile2:Congrats on the Flatheads.

9. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Wow, that's something else Ron. Thanks for the report and pictures

10. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nice fish Ron, thanks for sharing!

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Way to be, Ron!

You fishing the St. Joe's or Wabash?

12. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ummmm, maybe.... :wink::wink:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  13. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    congrats on two nice fish!

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    First - congrats on a good night of fishing, even if a few mishaps did happen. That's how we learn...

Second-
    I think the reason you lost that fish is becuase he was coming at you when you set the hook. It's almost impossible to get a good hook set on a fish that's coming at you. Don't know about the size of your hook, but it doesn't have to go around the jaw bone to be a solid hook up. Oh, not to rub it in, but several of my best fish have come right at the boat when hooked - and then they go by the boat and keep on going taking drag!

15. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I get lots of fish that come at the boat, that's mostly why I haven't messed with circle hooks yet. I've been really good at hooking them so far since that was the first one I've ever lost. I guess I'll get over it after I go back tonight and catch that fish :wink:. I DID change my hooks though!!

16. Fatman

Fatman New Member

State:
    Vermont
    Nice Cats!!!!! Don't get enough of them here in Vermont. Hoping to go visit the son out at Ft. Riley, KS, and he says he'll get me in them.

Fatman