Good news from the Division of Wildlife

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Netmanjack, May 4, 2008.

1. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dear Stan and Jack,

I am responding to both of you with a single e-mail because each of you contacted the Division of Wildlife regarding the same topic at the same time. You both expressed interest in whether there is room for change in the current regulation.

I have some good news for you. We are, in fact, considering an increase in the number of rods per angler. This topic is of increasing interest among Ohio anglers and our staff. At this time, the Division of Wildlife is having in-house discussions about adjustments in the regulation limiting anglers to two fishing rods each and reviewing issues related to the existing regulation, re-evaluating law enforcement concerns, and exploring revision. This specific issue will be included among others that our Fisheries Management & Research staff will discuss at a meeting this June. Feel free to contact me via e-mail, letter, or phone if you would like to provide additional input.

Thanks for your interest in Ohio fishing and your suggestions,

Scott Hale

Scott Hale
    Inland Fisheries Program Administrator
    ODNR, Division of Wildlife
    2045 Morse Road, Building G-3
    Columbus, OH 43229-6693

Phone: 614.265.6554
    Fax: 614.262.1143
    e-mail: scott.hale@dnr.state.oh.us

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That sounds great Jack!!! Now that I carry an OH license and probably will continue to do so it sounds great to me.
    Thanks for Sharing that news!!!!! That 2 rod rule stunk!!!!!!:angry:

I wonder when and if that will go into effect????

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thanks for the info Jack .... that could be good news .. Garry-:wink:

4. fishin fool 1969

fishin fool 1969 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Has there been any discussions about increasing the number of jugs per angler as well?I think each angler ought to be able to possess at least 10-12 jugs,6 just really isnt enough.Thank you!

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    This is really good info. thanks for taking the time to track this down.

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Jack, that is great news. It certainly isn't what he said to me but....

Keep emailing him fellas.

Steve, I doubt you get much help from the guys I know. Jugging is legal, but we R&R guys are conservation minded and intensely dislike the overharvest of fish over 10 lbs. We are trying to increase the trophy fishery.

BTW, I believe it is 6 jugs per FISHERMAN, so if you jug with another guy in your boat, that's 12 pieces of bait you can have on the water to a R&R guys 2 (6 if he uses 3 hooks)

7. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    the limit of 6 jugs only pertain to waters of less than 700 acres,over that they are unlimited,but in my opinion 2 people running 12 jugs have all they can handle,as you are supposed to be in attendance of your jugs while jugging

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I personally feel that 6 jugs are more than enough and wouldn't support any effort to increase it .... Garry- :roll_eyes:

"That is my opinion and I am sticking to it."

9. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yey , what happend to regs to help protect cats. Hey lets just catch all of them and make it 50 rods. You need to remember that the regs are for all fisherman. NOT JUST FOR CATCH AND RELEASE FISHERMAN. CAREFULL WHAT YOU WISH FOR.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would support laws to limit jugs to 2 per person..Same on trotlines only 2 hooks!

11. joadb

joadb New Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    good work buddy.

12. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for the news Jack.Indiana has a 3 rod reg I dont see why cant Ohio.

13. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I too wrote to the Division of Wildlife reference raising the limit to 3 rod/reel combinations .... I believe their response to me was as encouraging as it can be at this time. This is a very slow progress and must go through many hands and meetings before it can be accomplished. Not sure how things are done now, but they used to make regulation changes twice a year, at the beginning of the year and then about July or August. After the Division personel approve a change then it must go before the Wildlife Council to be approved and then it can be added to the regulations. It would be my best guess that, depending on timing it would be the first of next year before any changes would be made, if they do make the change. .......... Garry- :cool2:

14. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    does sound very promising for us and gives me a reason to tell the wife that i have to go get another cat setup!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    I must be the odd man here. I believe that if the fish are hitting 2 rods is more than enough to keep you busy. If the fish aren't hitting 2 is too many anyway. My fishing partner and me both had big flatheads on line at the same time in the boat. Let me tell you it is work so you can land them without harm. There would have been no way I could have done that myself let alone if a 3 rod went down. I just think if you need more than 2 you must not be fishing in the right spot. Just my thought. :eek:oooh:

16. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats the way i feel about it man!

17. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    To me it is more a matter of principal, why should I be limited to two rods when we allow jugging, limblines and trotlines? Limblines and trotlines are not even required to be attended!
    I would like to be able to have my cat rigs out and still be able to use my bait rod to catch some bait. If a liner can have 50 hooks in the water, why can't I have 50 rods out....not that I would.

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    To those who have responded with thoughts of conservation. That is why we have creel and size regulations. My argument, made to the DNR was, if you have creel limits, do you really care how quickly a fisherman gets there?

To those who believe 2 rods are plenty may not have fished for big flatheads often, OR if you commonly have more than 2 +20lb flatties per night, I NEED to fish with you guys.

I fish what I consider to be PRIME flathead waters and rarely get bit by more than 2 QUALITY fish in a noght of fishing. I would like to be more effective in covering an area legally.

Besides, if I can follow 6 jugs, why can I not have 3-4 rods?

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Some very interesting comments here.Personally I would question allowing 50 hook unattended trot line and then only 2 rods to a recreational fisherman.For those that think 2 rods are enough then 2 rods are enough.No one would force you to fish 3.If you drift fish as I do then normally about 6 rods over the side or stern provide a good fish attracting spread on my boat.Some Santee guides get 8 or more out there.Makes it look like a school of baitfish.Anchored up we often have 10-16 rods out.SOme states have a 2 rod limit but offer an additonal rod stamp for a minimal fee.That might be a way to sell the idea in Ohio as a little extra revenue for the G&F never hurt anything!!!!!:smile2:

20. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    To flip the coin, if you're in great flathead spots. Jugs will allow you to "test" an area for potential fishing later on. The key here is covering more area in a visible distance to the jugs and permitting you to cover more spots in a night than 2 rods will aloow you to do so. Now I have and will still use jugs periodically. However, I will add that all fish caught on jugs in my boat are released with no harm. So if the rod limit was increased I can see less jug fishing going on, at least with me. Now don't get me wrong, I only jug fish a few times a year, the rest of the time is rod and reel because fighting the fish is a lot more exciting in my book.:wink: