Good News For The Lakes!

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Aug 27, 2008.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    This is the rain system we have been waiting for folks.

I checked the rain guage last night and we had gotten around 3" over the previous 12 hours. I emptied it last night and when I checked it a few minutes ago we had 5" more inches from overnight storms.

Thats a total of 8" in about 30-36 hours.

The rains were widespread and not isolated storms like we usually get. Thats going to have a major impact on our rivers and lakes, and I bet even Santee will see a major rise in the water level over the next week.

2. Cat Lady

Cat Lady New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just wondering if you have heard anything about the lake levels on Hartwell?

3. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah the rain should help out alot. Hope it brings the lakes up.

4. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    I hope y'all have better luck than we're having. All that rain and Lake Greenwood hasn't risen much. I was out there today and it's still pretty sad-looking.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Matt It takes a little while for all the water to work it's way down stream from the up state:big_smile:. But trust me it's comng.:big_smile:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we are using it up here in Ohio also! Been awhile since we have had good rain! goodluck to you folks in the South.....rollo

7. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Hartwell has come up a foot or so

8. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    You're right, Doug, but I figured that with all the rain WE had....Yeah, you're right. :wink:

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I rode down to the lake last night and we are only 4"-5" from being at full pond on Wylie. Lake Wateree went up a lot overnight, as did Norman and Mt. Island.

It appears New Orleans is in the path of another hurricane, and that looks like it will hit on Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. We can probably expect another good soaking by the end of next week.

10. FLAT

FLAT New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    hartwell only came up about a foot !!:crazy:

11. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    "only a foot"....man to me that is alot...hartwell is a big lake.

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Greenwood has come up an astonishing 3 inches.:sad2: Still over 4 foot low.I know that dont sound like much for some of the bigger lakes but thats alot for Greenwood.Its a lake that rarely drops more than 3 feet even in the winter.Just about all and I mean all boat ramps are getting real iffy with a boat of any size.Its a relatively easy lake to regain water but thats not happening right now.

Santee Cooper has bought the Lake Greenwood dam and I can only imagine what their plans are for it.I dont know all the facts on it but I'm sure its not to good, especially considering its close to the lowest I can remember seeing the lake especially this time of year.Its almost like the water is going out as fast as its coming in.:confused2:

13. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Capt Chris, thanks for the post. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that's down-hearted about Greenwood.

14. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    chris i guess it will be greenwood river than instead of lake greenwood:sad2::confused2:...judging by the amount of water that is still rolling down the saluda in pelzer i would have thought that greenwood would have been up by several feet...man that is disappointing news and especially that crap about the dam...i swear i'm gonna give up fishing and buy a set of golf clubs.:angry: