Good news for Cannelton hydroelectric plant!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by OhioRiver, Jun 29, 2009.

1. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I found a very interesting article. it says...

Near the end of the project, around
    the fall of 2012, the company proposes
    to build permanent recreational facilities
    at both sites (Cannelton and Smithland).
    This would include walkways, parking lots,
    restrooms, fishing piers along the shoreline,
    potable water supply, and covered picnic shelters.
    The proposed fishing pier is an 8 foot wide, 150 foot
    long steel catwalk structure that can withstand high
    flows from the river. Four-foot wide handicap-accessible
    walkways will be constructed from the parking lot to the
    shoreline and fishing pier. The area will be lighted to
    enhance public safety and for the benefit of anglers fishing
    at night. The project includes undulations of rock along the
    shoreline intended to enhance fish habitat and benefit anglers.
    ......................................................................................

I think it sounds amazing.

They built a hydroelectric plant in WV and proposed all of this stuff and actually did build the recreation area. Theyve already begun to build a boat ramp, which I have a picture of thanks to my friend Darrell.

Attached Files:

2. kuigy

kuigy New Member

State:
    Newburgh, IN
    That is good news!

Is the boat ramp picture of WV?

3. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana
    no thats cannelton =]

4. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont belive that is a boat ramp I think that is a ramp for them to get supplys down to the barge area for the temperary dam they have to build or its the start of the temp dam its self. I talked to the guys there and the people there now are not for the plant construction they are a site prep company. their job is to come in and build the temp dam and remove the big rocks beside the locks and level for the plant construction crews to come in. the man I talked to said they will be there a year their selfs and thats before plant construction even starts.

5. OhioRiver

OhioRiver New Member

State:
    Indiana

You may be right. :)

6. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    well from what i have seen about building facilities next to waterways its not a very good idea. because people will trash the place. i mean look at the river now ... add more leisure spots along the river and people will come along with their trash ... im against it ... thats my opinion.... now for the part of the hydro plant ... that sounds ok .

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing the info. It would be nice to see this done in the Smithland pool. It has nothing to offer from bank fishing at present.

8. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    I agree just look around the Newburg Dam, looks like a landfill. Trash, beer cans, graffiti, bait left and stinkin, and not to mention the people who clean there fish in the parking lot and leave the mess! There needs to be some tickets written with heafty fines and some of the mess would stop!

9. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    It would be nice if the state could put in few fish cleaning stations like they have in the state parks.

10. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i was there the other night and noticed that on the beach there was a bunch of equipment and orange fence. my question is can i still camp on the beach or are we not allowed to be down there?

11. BigCATDADDY01

BigCATDADDY01 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No you cant camp down there that whole area is now what they call the right of way for all the dirt work being done. Im an operating engineer local 181 Im a heavy equipment operator, and that dam is in local 181's jurisdiction the whole project is said to take up to 10 years employing over 300 operators not counting all other trades on the job thats alot of work. and I do know that there have already been union based companies bidding on the follow up jobs that will occur after the dam is complete, and some of the jobs being bid on are building boat ramps, and access sites for fishing. they are planning on moving I think 4,000,000 cubic yards of dirt.

12. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    Why would they need a ramp down there, Hawsville is only 3-4 min from the dam. That would just be a waste of tax money.

13. BigCATDADDY01

BigCATDADDY01 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    They are bidding on that job not neccesarily gonna build it once it gets to the letting point they will bring up your valid point of the hawesville ramp being just 4 minutes away and shoot it down in mid flight.

14. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    can we still camp at the creek? man that sucks