Good Morning On The Dan

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ccjfamily, Oct 10, 2009.

1. ccjfamily

ccjfamily Member

State:
    Arizona
    Went out this morning around 7:00am. Temperature was just right and the wind wasnt blowin yet like it is now (1:30pm). I didnt have any trouble catching bait. Threw out some bream on my two big rods and missed a few hits. Moved down to a different spot and found a hole. I switched to using my lighter rod and reel set up with 30lb Power Pro. I did this because my casting is more acurate and I can get out further with it. Since I found the hole, I needed to be more accurate. I cast just passed the hole and drug the gills toward it and sure enough, by the end of it, I had 5 Flatties. Very good morning on the Dan River. Here are some pics! Met up with Mike after I had caught them and he weighed the biggest at 22lbs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. fisherman2

fisherman2 New Member

State:
    virginia
    man i missed 2 big one 1's i hooked 1 and i couldnt do anything with it and then i had 1 bring me up river and i went 2 set the hook and my knot was tied good enough it sucked

3. ccjfamily

ccjfamily Member

State:
    Arizona
    Did the wind finally die down any? We went out to Greensboro and hit up Gander Mountain to re-up on supplies.

JRG

4. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    WHERE DO YALL FISH AT ON THE DAN I USE TO FISH IT IN EDEN NORTH CAROLINA. BEFORE I LEFT HOME:embarassed:

5. arizhunter

arizhunter New Member

State:
    Goodyear, Az
    Thanks for sharing and the post to inform us B.O.C. in AZ Nice looking Flats u have there:cool2:

6. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    WTG Jacob, nothin lika guday of catfishin...:cool2:

7. RVACatter

RVACatter New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congrats on your success on the Dan! I'm too far away I think to enjoy the feed, but keep reelin' em in!!!

Tight Lines All,
    Thomas

8. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    In the post you said you drag the gills into the hole, do you literally drag them through the hole or just drag to where you want them and then let them sit?
    [​IMG]

9. ccjfamily

ccjfamily Member

State:
    Arizona
    In this case I literally drug them into the hole. Normally when fishing the river I use a carolina rig with 2-4 ounces of weight and let it sit till I get a bite. If you get a bite I would say within 10 min or less of tossin your bait out, you probably are in a hole. In this case it is very important especially for a bank fisherman to remember exactly where you tossed out at. Most of the time there is more than one fish in the hole especially around this time of year, when the temp is droppin. In this case I had tossed my normal rig out like I usually would and got a hit within 5 min. I brought the first Flattie in and switched over to my lighter rig wich was a 3/4 oz egg sinker tied to the main line (no slip) with about a 12" lead and a 6/0 gorilla live bait hook. Hooked a gill behind the dorsal, tossed him just passed where I thought the hole was, and slowly started reeling it in, making sure to pay attention to what I was feeling on the bottom. I tossed into the current which usually runs over rocks and then as I reel I feel for the transition from the rocks, to fallen timber (logs), and then finally smooth bottom, where fish might be diggin out which usually is just outside the current. As temperature drops the flatties are feedin up for the winter and their motabolism starts to slow so an easy meal rollin toward them off the current is hard to pass up. I literally caught my first, brought him in, tied him off, threw out again in the same location caught another within 5-8 min, brought him in, tossed out again, caught another withing 5-8 min.......and so on. The longest time I spent was getting them tied off to hold until I could get a pic of them. I think when bank fishin if you pay attention to everything that made you get that bite (weather, pressure, water temp, water color, water depth, location, what type of structure) you will catch more fish. Most the time I ask the fisherman around me that caught a fish, "what was the temperature ?", and they can't tell me, because they don't pay attention.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  10. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I was expecting a yep or nope kinda answer on that one and what I got was something I will probably use for the rest of my life!! Awesome reply!!! I fish the Verde River up here in Cottonwood about 3 times a week and this info will more than likely work here too. This is why I like the BOC so much, a bunch of great catfisherman willing to share info on how to catch fish. Thanks a million Jacob and I will let you know how it goes here.

P.S. My sister lives in Virginia so if I go visit her I might have to look you up and maybe bring you a little sand from your home state!!:wink:

11. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    Enjoy those flatheads stuck in those holes. The rain is coming and they will be gone to the lake for the winter

12. ccjfamily

ccjfamily Member

State:
    Arizona
    The cold front has moved in. My brother in Texas always gives me the heads up on the weather moving in. He said this cold front would be hittin soon. Supposed to be in the 40's till Friday then jump up 10 degrees Sat. Perfect for a morning of fishing and Im pretty sure no one will be at the spot with those kinda of temps.