good mono fishing line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by slikk03, May 16, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im a poor guy, im looking for some good mono thats cheap, 30 pound test, is that green big game stuff good, i dont want something that wont cast, but is cheap, or is line line, , i prefer braid, but not on a big penn, i just want something tuff that can take abrasion and still cast good, without backlash

2. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    read my post on the cabelas salt striker

3. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    The green Berkley Big Game is the best in my opinion. That's the only mono I use.

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've always had good luck with Berkely Big game also.. 50#
    I also, Use Hi-Seas Quattro Camo in 30#,, it's very tough and abrasion resistant..
    I certainly can't guarantee no backlashes..
    But, Knots tie OK.
    Don't want any cheap line,,,:eek:oooh:,, but, not sure if it's considered inexpensive:wink:

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Last year I used Cajun Red Lightning 20# mono on all my reels. This year I wanted to try the Berkley Big Game line in 25# and 40#. I am not pleased with it at all. If it even gets close to a rock...it frays!!!!!! The next line I buy will be "CAJUN RED LIGHTNING".......it is the toughest mono I have ever used and super abrasion resistant!!! And its very affordable!!!:crazy:

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Really? I haven't had that much of a problem with it at all. I use the 30# & 40# test. I have a small spool of the CRL 30# and its junk IMO. Its like wire coiled up. Its strong but too much memory for me. I spooled 1 reel up with it and used it twice and took it off and threw it away.:smile2:
    I just bought some 40# Big Game Hi Test that seems really good. Can't wait to try it out.
    Ande Monster Yellow 30# is also excellent line. Its strong, not much memory and pretty affordable.

7. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I use 30# BG on all mu mono reels, i like it, it's affordable, and dependable. I had the same memory problem with the cajun, tried making leaders out of it, looked like springs with hooks on the end.

8. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I haven't either. I have tortured Big Game and it stands up every time. Now I do change my line frequently but that's just because I'm paranoid but I've drug it through some pretty wicked structure and it seems to be pretty bullet proof if I do my job right.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Berkley Big Game mono for me. Used it for years with no problems. My second choice is Suffix.

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    You can get salt water mono. You can find it thru Bass Pro and it is stronger, more abrasion resistant and smaller Dia. than Berkley big game and it is a lot cheaper too.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Premium salt water ande, 30lb.test in envy green. Try the best and forget the rest :wink::smile2:.

12. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Don't know what price diff is but my fav is Ande 25# Pink. Easy to see at night and that line is tough!:angry:

13. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the cajun line real well but under certian conditions i find it hard to see.but its tough as nails i like it.im going to experiment with a few others and see what i come up with.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I tried cajun red one time in 25-lb test...No doubt it's strong line.

But I need to make long cast and that line had so much memory it was unreal, I could not cast it 40 yds without a backlash.

15. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I use Berkley BG Hi Test in #40. Haven't had any problems with it.

16. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    If Suffix were to make a higher lb test, It would be the best hands down!, I still love the BB solar

17. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    The proper line diameter will make the reel more civilized. Too small of diameter and it will backlash easy or all the time. Too big and it will not cast very far.

18. ghudson434

ghudson434 New Member

State:
    virginia
    Mamoi hi-catch 30# hands down. But the ande is good to and the plus part is its cheap.

19. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Flathunter, I have the same experience and impressions of Cajun Line. It was so stiff and had so much memory that recycled the entire spool after about a month. The single worst line I've ever used personally. (but that's just me).

I simply can't see a reason to sway away from Sufix brand lines. They have replaced all of my old favorites, and don't cost any more than the common big company lines (maybe $1-$2 more per spool depending on where you get it and what product line your comparing).

20. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    Steve, Sufix is available up to 130LB test. You can get the 1/4Lb spools up to 50Lb (maybe higher) and filler spools up to 30Lb.

Call around to shops that provide line services (not just boxed spools but have the large bulk spools and will fill your reel for you and charge you by the yard), they should have the larger test lines. If not they certainly can get it in and may appreciate hearing from a fisherman how good a new product is that could bring them in new revenue.