Good lure for striper

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by tncatfishing, Nov 26, 2008.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    This may have been asked recently, but what is a good lure for striper fishing.I have had some luck with jigs and fluke lures.

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Depends on the day I guess, I would also add cranks, both lips and non (rattle traps) have also had good luck here on the lake running a Carolina rigged white 10-12" auger tail worm..... Big shad and crappie swim bait.....

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    For night time fishing around clay banks and points, I would suggest a Red Fin or a one oz. bucktail. Trolling with the big motor I would suggest deep diving hard baits made by Cotten Cordell. On lite weight tackle a small lure called a 'Road Runner' will do a number on stripers less than ten pounds.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Mac, you ever use a "stump jumper" least that is what we call them here, they are just like the "road runner" except you can get them up to 3-4 oz., like the buck tails? They also work great

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    foley spoons rock whem it come to spoons

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well....I see that your from Clarksville, Tn. and assume that you might be fishing for stripers at the cumberland city steamplant maybe???? I have fished there plenty of times and can honestly tell you that I have fished there using ....Pencil poppers as well as Red-fins and Flukes and water dogs and several other types of lures including live bait. It is very snaggy to fish on bottom unless your in a boat.....I have had great success using a 1/2 oz white jig head with a 6" white swim shad. I catch some really good stripers on the far side about half way down fishing this 6" swim shad before daylight!!!Most of my biggest ones were caught around 4am and I would be gone with 2 ...before anyone even showed up. If the water is murky due to rains...I switch to a 6" chartruese. Good luck to you:big_smile:

8. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Storm swim baits, Bigger the better most of the time , and try pearl , pearl and pearl colors...:wink: crank them fast in the current edges.. Other than that rattle traps 3/4 oz, blue and silver, and redfins...

Puddle

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    you can also use 6 inch white or chateruse worms as a trailer to.

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    STorm shad pearl colored also black curly tails at night

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    this time of year around here the stripers are pushing schools of shad shallow in the backs of creeks early in the morning then moving a little deeper on humps and main channel points. i like to use redfins or thundersticks when they get shallow then swith to a weighted fluke or bucktail when they move deeper.
    chip

12. JaSkynyrd

JaSkynyrd New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  13. river bum

river bum New Member

State:
    va
    i like to use big bucktail jigs in yellow

14. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    -When the fish are on top use Storm thunderstick, and Redfins. Both in Black or blue with crome colors. Also a weightless fluke twitched on a 5/0 worm hook is killer

-When the fish are shallow, but dont want a surface lure. Go with a Rapala F-18, x-rap, Rebel fast trac, or a yo zuri crystal minnow. in any kind of shiner or baitfish color. These lures will run 2-4ft. Also a weightless fluke rigged with a 6/0 weighted 1/8-1/4ounce worm hook..

-Some good soft baits for shallow fish are 1/4,3/8, and 1/2ounce jig heads matched with a Fluke in white ice or albino colors. You can slow crank this lure, and hop it back to you. In the day time i prefer to hop, at night i chose to slow crank it.. Also a in the same weights, a bucktail with a 4-6inch curl tail grub attached, slow crank this lure. The new hottest thing is a lure made locally by a good friend of mine called the "Swamp Monkey" and its been killer, on stripers aswell as LM and SM bass. I'm not triing to advertise just letting you know were you can order these lures on line at www.corefishingtackle.com They come in 1/2 and 5/8ounce sizes. Use the half in shallow water, the skirt slows the sink rate.

-when the stripers move deep I use a fluke on a 1/2-3/4ounce jig head, jigged vertical. also a Hopkins or a CC spoons in 3/4-1ounce jigged vertical..

Good friend of mine says, when all else fails... use a rattle trap!

15. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    When they are rodeo'n shad I like rainbow spooks.

16. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Very informational posting Travis.I also fish Smith Mountain Lake for these stripers.The first time that I used the Swamp Monkey,I hooked up right away with a 37"er and it had me fighting it all over the boat,from front to back,gosh what a fighter.It was my personal best in 4 years fishing there,with Striperaddict,and Mr Raleigh.I also like the top water bite at night using the f18 rapala,vampire in color,which they have quit making them now,for some reason.A very hard lure to find now.Also caught this nice flathead,off a pearl white fluke,throwing at the bank this pass winter.Also a good fight.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

17. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    All striper lures have a time and a place that they are the most lethal. I like to twitch small flukes in and around busting fish in winter. Then in March and early April I like to work creek mouths with bomber Long A's worked with the slightest wobble. Late April and beginning of may the door is wide open for sebiles, redfins, flukes and anyother shallow running bait off flat points and the mouths of long creek arms. Summer I go with a leadcore outfit and run bucktails and umbrella rigs deep on suspended fish. October and November you can pretty much throw it all on busting fish and hook up.

18. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    looks like you all have more luck with redfins that rattle traps....i better switch