Good Luck?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    we all, at some time or another, wish someone good luck. but is there such a thing? i am confident that everything happens for a reason. cause and effect. nothing happens without something causing it to. there is nothing that ever simply randomly happens. action, reaction. therefore, there is no such thing as good or bad luck.
    good fortune and bad fortune, but not luck. things can be opportune or inopportune, but not lucky.

go ahead, flame away :evil-big:

2. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good luck Phil.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Most times I just think it is the phase of the moon. Watch out a new one is coming up on Sunday................:p .......................I've seen the effects of it at work all week.

4. THE CATKING

THE CATKING New Member

State:
    Cattinatti
    I am a firm believer in destiny ...What happens is and was in the cards you are dealt at birth. Fortunes can be made and lost , both good and bad. But in the end, what was dealt to you will happen never the less.... CK ~**~

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Phil - in the spirit of good-natured dialog, I believe that your position is inherently flawed. For example, stating "I am confident that everything happens for a reason" appears somewhat weak when compared to "I can prove that...". Next, the American Heritage Dictionary's definition of fortune includes: 1. A hypothetical force that governs the events of one's life. 2. Good or bad luck. 3. Luck, esp. when good. To me, this appears to suggest little differentiation between fortune and luck. So if you allow for the viability of fortune (both good and bad), but not luck, how do suggest we understand the difference? :)

6. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Although I sign off every post with "Good Luck", I believe you make your own luck - by your actions and words, how you bring forward the learning experiences from your past in any current or future opportunity, and how you interact with all the folks you contact in your life. Not everyone can be Bill Gates (some might consider him lucky?), but we can all be on a path to make our lot in life mostly under our control. Don't leave it to someone else, and you wont have anyone to blame.

7. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Luck??? What's Luck got to do with it???? LOL!!!

Ray

8. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    What is luck depends on how you look at it.

Say I'm running down the river not knowing what the hell I'm doing and I just stop the boat at a random location and toss out a line. My bait just happens to hit the bottom right in front of a big hungry catfish. He bites and I catch him. Now that was luck, wasn't it?

9. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

No, that was a higher force guiding you. Maybe. Ok, it was luck.

Ray

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    WHOA!!!!! can you put that in laymans terms for us, LOL!!! that was way to phylisofical, LOL!!!

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Catking I agree with you in part, It was in my destiny to become the greatest catfisherman on the planet earth, and it has been fulfilled!:happ-big:

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Sorry, JW :eek: Basically, what I was trying to say is that my interpretation of what Phil said is that he does not believe in luck, but that he does believe in good or bad fortune. And I'm saying that there is no difference between fortune (good or bad) or luck - that they are pretty much the same.

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

not luck, mark. what made you stop at that point on the river? an eddy? a bend? rip-rap? you stopped there because something about it caught your eye or imagination, right?:)

14. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

i understood clearly what you said pat. i will have to get my dictionary our and clarify my interpretation of fortune.

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :grin-big: :rock-big:

Mr. Washburn, Love the new profile pic! Did you catch anything?

16. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Yeah Phil.... did you catch anything?