Good Luck To All You North Carolina Hunters

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by catfishrus, Nov 3, 2006.

1. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i know opening day for muzzle loading is in the morning for the piedmont sections of nc. always heard the full moon started the rut. lots of them getting run over in the roads in the last week or so. so they seem to be on the move. i seen a nice buck running tonight across the road in the city limits, so the time has come. post a few pictures of the big bucks. gonna be cold on the stand in the morning. the rest of us gonna take of the fish. good luck!

2. CMJ

CMJ Guest

It would be the coldest morning of the year on openning day, but I've fished in weather a lot colder......:big_smile:

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    ive got till the 18th here in indiana until firearms comes in. i didnt get to bow hunt this year cuz a part got screwed up on my bow and i couldnt get it fixed for awhile. so i just decided to let the woods be calm until firearms. i did get a doe in the youth season(the first year they have it and its the last year i can hunt it). not to big but ive got meat in the freezer already.

4. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I was sitting on opening morning in the 20 degree cold when I heard what sounded like 20 deer coming thru the woods. In fact it was a large doe pursued by her lover boy buck. They turned just before they got to me but they went past my 13 year old son who harvested his first buck that morning.
    I heard a huge BOOOOOMMMMMMM and then silence. Then a resounding ALLRIGHT.

I walked over and he was busy stuffing a second load down his .50 Renegade. It wasn't needed though. I asked him what he shot and look on face and his response was worth $1,000,000.00 to me. He said "Dad he's a monster, the buck I been praying for!!"

pic attached

Attached Files:

5. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dont you just love the rut. father and son teams are the best. i went fishing saturday morning and it was cold and the wind was blowing and i didnt hear near as many shots as i thought i would. congrates to your son.

6. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats to your son David.Thx for picture.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well we got rain moving in for a few days and full moon will be gone by the end of the week and so will the rain. the hunting should be good towards the end of the week. think its gonna be warming some but that want hurt the rut because they gonna do that anyways hot or cold. what do you think, are going to be able to get him this week?

8. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    I sat that same stand yestersay AM and saw 15 deer before 12:00 AM. Three were bucks but none over four points. One of the most exciting mornings in a long time. Rut underway, full moon and a front coming thru the next day.
    Oh yeah I saw a snow white albino doe this afternoon as well.

Might not a single deer tomorrow morning but that's hunting.
    :

9. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    ruts on here too. i seen a spike buck today in my yard. he spooked and ran in the woods and 15minutes later he/ or another buck comes running down the drive with his head to the ground. first buck i have seen at my house this year so something got to be going on for that to happen. may let my son take a crack at him if we see him again. dont care to shoot them small ones but hes never shot one so hard to say no to him. hes only ten. good luck to you guys.

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I had a few steaks from a hind leg of a spike buck just yesterday. Some of the best I've ever eaten.

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    things still happening. i seen a nice 8 point out the kitchen window this evening. nice to have a stand with all the accomadations in it.:smile2:

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    action was hot for my son and i this morning. i seen 4 bucks and 1 doe and 2 fawns. does was feeding in the corn but the bucks wasnt interested in corn.i have a scrape in my corn and the bucks just tore it up this morning. one buck was a shooter but my son couldnt get on him fast enough. he was 7-8 point 17-18" wide. didnt see a thing this evening. all deer seen this morning at first light and the last 6 pointer came out at 9.30 this morning. seen a couple deer at last light yesterday with one small buck. thats a pretty good morning when i went all summer without seeing the first buck. someone is looking for all them velvet bucks from the summertime. the deer are in full rut now i think. so what have you fellows been seeing?

13. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I noticed more deer activity the last 2 weeks. I'm talking about deer being out by the roads. It's been a few months since I saw a deer by the road near where I live. In the last 2 weeks I saw 3 does together one day. Last Thursday I saw an 8 point buck run to the side of the interstate, look both ways, then turn around and run back into the woods like he had been chasing a doe and lost her. Today a doe ran accross the road in front of me at a full sprint.

14. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    yea if you get to looking there is alot of them laying in the ditches that alot of normal non hunters dont never see but if you keep a eye out for them its amazing at how many deer are run over each year in the rut. not many roads right now that doesnt have one laying in the ditch. you only see what gets stopped and a lot of them run off.

15. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Yea have you ever noticed they pick up the road killed bucks but will leave the does....

A buck got hit right down the road from my house he was about 20' from a doe that had been killed there about three days prior....laying in the same ditch....I came by the next morning and the buck had been picked up but the doe was still lying there...wander if they picked it up just because it had a rack..probably so...

16. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    seem the same 6 point this morning at 8.30 but my shooter was at school. got a little video tape footage of him for the shooter to see.:big_smile: then this evening we had 6 does and a button buck to come in. they was all a little nervious acting because of the wind then they settled down until the button buck got running around like a nut. back/fourth and they eased off about 40 minutes before dark.

17. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    we broke the ice this evening finnally. we had 3 does and a buttion buck to come out this evening after not seeing anything this morning. this buck came in and we decided to shoot. i thought he was just a big cow horn spike but hes got some small brow tines and meat too. hes a four pointer but hes got to be at least 2 1/2 years old by the size of his body for a nc deer. funny thing is we hadnt seen this deer before. so thats 6-7 differnet bucks this week. two where alot nicer than this one but hey it was time. i heard someone shoot a high power rifle a hour after dark out close to the road when i cleaning this one. hope they didnt get the bigger ones. i still got a tag left. ruts still going on!

Attached Files:

• bk3.JPG
      bk3.JPG
      File size:
      37.5 KB
      Views:
  18. CMJ

CMJ Guest

I smell that tender loin cooking..............:big_smile:

19. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    its good too jeff. might have to take a break for couple days. all this excitement has worn me out this week. gonna hold out for a giant now. should be one around here with all this action going on. just got to be there on right day. seen two does last night standing in the drive way after getting some ice to put on the meat. think we goona make hamburger out of this one. havent had any of that in a few years. makes a good meat loaf.:big_smile:

20. weasel

weasel New Member

State:
    NC
    There are so many deer around my house it's pathetic. My wife ran over one last year with the truck while she was coming in the driveway. We live about a mile off the road. I think the hunters this year out number the deer. It seems as if someone's behind every tree. I don't shoot deer anymore unless he's 18 to 20 inches wide with thick horns. We live in the middle of a two hundred acre farm with paper company land almost all the way around us. My nearest neighbor is a little over a mile away. Not many places like this left in the piedmont. I love it.
    Can you believe some of these hunt clubs are paying 15 dollars an acre per year just to hunt a few weeks?