? Good Luck Barges ?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by river_rat_42, Sep 9, 2006.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Me and my fishin' buddy have been fishing random diff. hot spot docks around the Charlestown IN. area and parts Jefferson County IN. too. Ocassionaly we get out on our buddy's boat and fish some good area's of the Ohio River around here. ANYWAYS every since we started fishin' the Ohio River ( last year ) we have noticed a lil' somethin'. Every time or atleast most of the time on the long nights/mornings on the Ohio, when our bites are comin along very slowly & rarely, we always tend to get a good bit of bites and runs when a barge is going by, or a few minutes after it just went by (as the waves are comin' in). Anyone else have this happen to them, if so, why do you think that is.

2. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Those barges displace a LOT of water which stir things up quite a bit, I would assume that includes food which has settled on the bottom.
    I'm pretty sure that makes them active for a short time till things settle again.
    Just a guess:confused2:

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have a theory that the bagre's/boats churn up the water and the catfish know that the water movement stirs up "food" and causes a short feeding "frenzy", IMO

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Ohio River + a barge passin is time to get right up on your poles!!!!!!!!!!

:beauty:

5. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I've witnessed this alot over the last few years. I used to bank fish alot and whenever a bass or ski boat went by, right about the time the waves are hitting the shore I'd often get a bite on one or more rods. This doesn't happen every time one goes by but it happens alot. If I haven't had a bite in awhile I start hoping for a big boat to come up the river.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I notice the same thing with ski boats and jet skis. Who knows what the real reason is, but I think the fish want to strike the bait because they think it will be spooked away by the boat.

7. kwsrisingsun

kwsrisingsun New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm not really sure, but one of my buddies was talking to a guy one time said that he had the same thing happen, so he started watching his depth finder and he figured out that the baitfish all got scared to the bottom when a barge came by, so the catfish did havemore food but he said it was the baitfish coming down from the top and not food being stirred up off bottom, i'm not really surebut it makes sense to me.

8. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I've never figured out the reason for sure but I've expereienced the same thing on both the Missouri and the Mississippi Rivers. Possibley it just stirs the fish out of their slumber mode for a short time and gets them to move around a bit and they come upon your bait during that time. All I know is if I see a barge coming I get ready.

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have noticed this also while fishing under train bridges,when train goes over the bridge.the fish seem to bite.

10. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thats kinda what I figured, that the bait fish were getting all stired up and stuff, but I was not sure. thanks

11. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    This sounds more plausable. The bite is almost immediate when the waves go over the bait or hit the shore. It's like there's a cat there thinking about taking the bait and boat going by forces him to XXXX or get off the pot.

12. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    One of the places we fish is a boat ramp and I've noticed the increase in bites after a boat has been loaded or unloaded?
    I think it has something to do with the water being stirred up and that's get the stuff on the bottom stirred up?

I used to hate when a boat was loading or unloading, but now, I'm glad when they do because the bites increase for a little while?

Ken