Good luck animals

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mathersm, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I just thought I'd start a post about seeing animals while catfishing and having good luck. Last year me and a buddy of mine were fishing Alum Creek reservoir here in Ohio. We were there for about 2 hours with only 3 channels. All the sudden a big owl, not sure what kind, landed 3 feet away on a big log. He sat there for the next three hours we fished and it turned out to be 1 heck of a night. We ended up catching quite a few more channels the rest of the night. At one point the owl even tried to land on one of my rod tips. Needless to say he was to heavy and almost tipped my rod in the water. What I thought was wierd was the fact that even when we were crankin in fish he never once acted scared. We took are smallist catfish and threw it up on the bank before we left. Hope he got a good meal out of it. Also there have been a few times this year when I went to my local creek smallie fishing and I would see owls in the same tree aver time for a week right before dark. All week was one heckuva week in the creek as far as quantity went.

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I seen and heard all kinds of animals while fishing even seen a few swimming across the river/lake I was fishing. I've seen squirrels, deer, muskrat and beaver swimming. Along the banks I've seen ground hounds, gray fox, red fox, wild turkey, opossum, coons, squirrels, chipmunks, bobcats, deer, beaver, muskrat, screech owl, great horned owl, bald eagle, osprey, buzzards and several different types of water fowl and wading birds.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I like to hear a hoot owl when I'm fishin'. Dunno if it helps my luck any, but it makes it more enjoyable. I do know that every time I caught a drum as my first fish of a trip, I never caught another fish for the rest of that trip. I almost dread that first fish, afraid it's going to be a drum and jinx me......

4. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

If the wild dogs are howling, the fish are biting.

Ray

5. willisjj

willisjj Guest

Down here at one of these lakes north of Phoenix, we have wild burros (donkeys). A couple of weeks ago we were out fishing and we could hear a herd of em coming down the hill. It was dark and had been stone dead quiet all night. Well I shined a light on em (around a dozen of em) and they weren't far from our tent. They went to braying and carrying on like it was the end of the world. Man they were loud, then a pack of coyotes got to yapping and then 2 more packs started in and you wouldn't believe how incredibly loud all they all were. Anyway, about the time all that started my wife pulled in a 10 lb. flathead and then about 10 minutes later a channel cat about the same size. Don't know if there was any correlation or it was just a coincidence.

I have another story about these wild donkeys that I posted on the old site and which was funny as all get out. I have to add it in here too since we are talking about animals and fishing. We were night fishing at the same lake here a few months ago and about 3:30 or 4 in the morning we heard some very strange noises and they seemed pretty close. We were fishing on one side of a kind of a "finger", well we decided to check it out and walked up the short hill to the top and shined our light down the other side and it was a herd of wild burros. They were urinating, lol. One would go, then another, and it seemed to catch until the whole herd was peeing and splashing, lol. It was loud as all get out and definately something that I could never have figured out even if I had set there thinking about it all night,lol. These burros are descended from their domesticated counterparts that got loose or were abandoned back in the old mining days.

6. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I know it sounds sissy like,but I get pumped up if a butterfly comes by.I've hooked alot of fish after seeing a butterfly.I always say"There's my lucky butterfly" .Shooting stars are next in line. :D

7. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I saw what I thaought was a hawk flying close over head. As it got closer I could see it was a Bald Eagle. I watched him make a few passes over head and then fly off. It was a great site to see.

8. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    If the hoot owls are a hooting, the fishing is usually better. The same atmosheric conditions that inspire the owls to hoot makes the fishing better.

9. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

when fishing brookville lake in indiana which was our home lake before
    we moved down here,we would hear a large owl hooting in the woods,
    well fishing would be good,and after a few times we started calling him
    the GREAT FISH BIRD,well if we sat a couple of hours and did not hear
    the GREAT FISH BIRD you knew it was going to be a long night.
    KIRK :D

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    :cool: My fishing partner and myself were fishing in the ACATS fall classic tournament.We crashed my boat through a weed bed that ia guarding about 25 acres of back up water.We saw a tree in the water way in the back with a big bird on it......we eased up there and it was a giant bald eagle! I told joe the eagle is telling us to fish under the log...{I am native american}..The eagle took off straight up and took a big dump on the way...I said he marked the spot to cast..I eased joe up for the cast..and bam...we bagged 4 nice cats in a row..that gave us 1st place in the tournament...So yes watch the animals closely.

11. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    I'm glad to see this thread getting some replies. One of my fav parts of catting at night are the animals you'll see that ya don't during the day.

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have often associated animals/birds, etc with different things. For example:

Albino skunks and sometimes a hawk, indicates a death to me.

Hawks can also be good karma for other things.

The large woodpeckers (some call them wood hens, some call them wood cocks) indicate a smile on my face! Had 3 in the back yard recently. They must indicate happiness for me.

These are just my interpetations for ME. Coincidences that those things happen to me when seeing them? Not sure.

I once saw a HUGE black bear at my Mom's one fall and it was a sign that one of my best friends laughed and called it BS, even though his almost daughter was with me and saw it too. LOL. (I just live a hop, skip and jump from my Mom)

Interesting thread!

P.S. Wonder what my 2 dogs and 9 cats indicate? I'll tell you. I'm either INSANE or an animal lover. :eek: :)

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Went winter crappie fishing a couple years ago. When we pulled into a small creek there was small crappie jumping everywhere. After an hour or two catching fish we were joined by two raccoons that were catching their own crappie right off the bank. The last hour or two I think we watched those raccoons more than we did our poles.

These guys werent scared at all and we fished close together for awhile. They caught more crappie but our crappie were way bigger. Alot of times seeing critters can make up for not catching many fish. Ill come home and say no fish but I saw a deer, hawk, coon, or whatever. Still a good day.

14. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have seen many different animals while fishing, the most interesting was a sasquatch!

15. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

CHERYL
    have you heard it said,that if a bird crashes against your window,that there
    will a death in the family with in 2 weeks?study up on that,what do you think?
    old wives tale or not?i think the bird just had a bad flight plan. :eek:
    KIRK :)

16. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    If that were true I would have deaths in my family almost daily in the summer. It seems everytime we fill the bird feeders, which are a good 20 feet away from the house, birds fly into our windows.

17. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    this ain't related to fishing but still along the same, i spent a week on hunting in north fla a couple of years ago (the wife is still hot about that)..lol.. anyways any time a flock of cardinials would come around my stand the deer would start showing up after about 15 min. so since then every time i'm in my stand and cardinials show i get ready and now it's a hard habbit to break...

18. Peavey8Cat

Peavey8Cat New Member

State:
    Canton, Il
    I have heard all sorts of animals When out fishing and have to agree that is part of the fun of night fishing. Sunday morrning 1:00 am I had a good run on my new rod and reel. The click was going to town. Locked the handle pulled back and Allright Felt Like aaaaaaaaaaa Nice ONE. After few minutes I landed a "BEAVER". :cursing: :confused: I trapped for them Never got one. Dont figure

19. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Landed a beaver. That must of been wierd. I have caught a goose before.

20. Marshallmth

Marshallmth New Member

State:
    Dayton Ohio Area
    I beleive Crane birds are my good fishing Omen. To me its a sign to other living things of peace, and thats when I get me best hits.