good info on jet outboard maintenance, modifcations and repairs

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by riverbud55, Aug 1, 2008.

1. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    I have been looking for some info on jet outboard jet pump maintenance etc. for my new Yamaha jet, and this is by far the best info i have ever found, there's some great info here for owners of jets. I really believe this article/link needs to find a home here as a sticky thread :wink: http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/outboard_jet_maintenance.htm

2. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller

3. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Thanks Dale, good info as I run a jet, too.

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I want a jet drive real badly! There's one stretch of the Pee Dee that gets little fishin' pressure due to inaccessibility. Only one person I know of with a jet that gets to it, and he CATCHES BIG FISH. I have to figure out a plan on how to come up with a jet motor and boat. I may sell my J-16 Carolina Skiff to help fund a jet setup. Been hankering for a jet for YEARS!

Bill in SC

5. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    ya Know bill that skiff may make a good (enough) platform for a jet, kinda depends on the bottom, but I'd bet it would work, wouldn't take much to get it going. All ya need is a manual jack plate so as you can raise the engine 4'' +or-, think a new jet pump kit from The Jet Doctor is around $1700, very easy to swap out the lower units back and forth, once ya get it down ya can do it in less then a 1/2 hr

Jets are great a little getting used to but for me it was easy, handles just like my wave-runners:crazy::confused2::smile2:, short burst of power or a quick reverse and a hard crank on the wheel will get ya headed the right way, just read them links I gave and its some the best info on jet there is around

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <ya Know bill that skiff may make a good (enough) platform for a jet, kinda depends on the bottom, but I'd bet it would work,>

Absolutely, and I had given it thought, but the rocks I need to get across would beat the fiberglass CS hull all to pieces. Certainly an aluminum hull would suit my needs better. I'm still ponderin', figurin', and cipherin', to see what I can come up with.

BB in SC

7. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Question for the jet experts (or those who know a lot more than me)-

I know that Jetskis and jet motors have "pee holes" where its pretty obvious where the water comes out. However, on my new jet (2001 Mercury 40HP) I dont notice any water being sprayed out of the engine. Is there a clog or is the spray just pointed downward or is there a reason I dont visibly notice this?

Also, where can i find intake fins to install on my engine? I've searched the internet quite a bit and can't find anywhere that offers them.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

8. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Kevin the pee hole is in the same place as the engine comes stock from the factory, mine is a Yamaha, comes out the side under the cowling , the jet pump lower unit is the same on all OB jets, only one company make them and it replaces a std. geared lower unit, but i would say ya got a blocked pee hole or worse a blocked up water pump/passage

as far as the fins go a lot of guys make there own but you can buy them , I'll look it up and post a link, as far as make thm all ya need is a Pc. 3/16" of alum. a jig saw and a vice and hammer think tha pa link tells ya how to make them

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I just priced a new 40hp Merc jet motor a few days ago they wanted 5300 for it. Is this about right on price for the unit??? I'm new to jet motors but wanting one to fish a shallow river near home.

10. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    To give you an idea the price range I just paid $5k altogether for a 17 ft tracker grizzly with a 40hp Merc Jet on it. The engine is a 2001, and likely constituted $2500-3k of the sales price.

Hope that helps.

11. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Can't really tell ya much about the merc but I paid last year when I got my boat new from the factory $ 13,355 for a 150 Yamaha with a jet pump, to give you a idea what the cost of the pump is here is a link to The Jet Doctor for a 40hp merc just not sure if its the engine your talking about http://www.jetdoctor.net/products/detail.php?productID=506, basically if your buying a new jet engine your buying a engine without a lower unit then a pump is bought out from Specialty Marine/Outboard Jets and added, the jet doc also has a price for 60/40 merc http://www.jetdoctor.net/products/detail.php?productID=459 ya mite think about buying the engine with the lower unit and adding the jet pump,ya could end up not paying that much more ,could get a better deal on the std.d engine, I kinda wished I had a geared lower unit at times so I could swap them out when i don't need a jet

As far as the intake fins go Kevin found them in Outboard Jets catalog (may be part # 1185 intake fin kit) http://168.143.27.144/catalog/2008/MEDIUM SERIES/ACCESSORIES.pdf I would give them a call and have the serial # of the pump(not the engine:wink:) handy, I also would think that The Jet Doctor would carry them just don't see them on their site

12. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
  13. shooter06

shooter06 New Member

State:
    Central Missouri
    Lots of great info. Thanks for bumping it to the top Dale!