Good Idea? Or Pure Stupidity!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Dec 16, 2009.

Should I try to catch a big blue on light tackle?

1. Yes, it would be cool!!!

2. Yes, but your gonna get spooled!!!

3. No, you are asking for disaster!!!

4. I hope Shawn and Kip throw you overboard on the trip if you bring a bass rod!!! LOL

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As many of you know, three of us Ohio members are heading back to the James River in Feb.( loanwizard, smoothkip, myself) Anyways, I may get thrown from the boat by Shawn by mentioning this, lol. But, I have always had a facination for big fish, on light tackle. I caught a 25 pound carp this summer on light tackle, and it was one of the best fights ever! My sole intention is for us all to go and catch big blues! However, I was thinking, if all went well, and big fish were being caught, I might try to land a big blue on a light tackle rod with 12 or 15 pound test not only for the fun, but to see how I would handle it, and how the tackle would stand. Is it possible? I dunno, my experience with blues are minimum. A 20 pound blue on light tackle im sure would be very difficult. But, im a fisherman, and sometimes we often need to do things to challenge ourselves. Opinions ? :big_smile: rollo

2. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I voted it would be cool, but only if you have already caught a bunch of big fish. You don't want to be afraid to lose it, break off, or be spooled because depending on what you hook into, it could very well happen. Also, just be prepared to have the biggest fish of the day hit the light tackle, seems to always work that way......be able to shrug it off if you are gonna do it, or else you will be haunted by," if I had only been using regular tackle I would have seen the biggest fish of the day (my life, this year etc)". You have more guts than I do, I would think how cool it would be to fish on light tackle, but those feelings and thoughts about losing the big one would keep me from chancing it most likely :smile2:.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    It can be done. There is a guy that specializes in catching the large blues on 4 lb test line...pure insanity IMHO...and I think it's not fair to the fish but that's his thing and it's not against the law. My cousin and his son came from Ohio this past spring to try their hands at the big blues and I warned them to bring their heaviest gear. What they showed up with was musky rods or heavy bass gear...10 and 15 lb test mono. The first day my cousin hooks a 40 lber and it's at least 30 minutes to land it...he simply couldn't move the fish off the bottom for at least 15 minutes...straight below the boat. His son hooks a 30+ and can't control it at boatside...it eventually gets caught in the anchor rope and comes undone. They both caught fish but their gear was definitely on the light side. They vowed to come back with heavier gear.

Now ask yourself this question: What would you rather have in your hands if you hook a 100 lb + fish (possibly a VA state record). The chances are very real that you could hook that very sized fish. Sure it's fun to think about landing a 40 lber on 10 lb line but are you really willing to take that chance?

Good luck on your trip.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Jason it sounds like it could be fun to me ,that is if your fishing partners were ok with it .The reason i say that is you might have to follow your fish to land it ,but even if it got off you had the fight while it lasted :wink::cool2:

5. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I caught a 38 inch pike in Iowa on 8# test in a river below the falls on a twister tail jig. Thing sky rocketed 3 feet out of the water. I let it go down river some then fought it in the slack water closer to the bank. Couldn't of hooked it any better. Right in the corner of the mouth. No wire leader either. I use to love fishing light tackle til I was educated on the stress it put on the fish...

Also had a friend that use to catch Salmon on 4# test and run up and down the creek with em' just to say he could.

Attached Files:

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know this is not exactly what you are talking about but I managed to pull in a 14.5lb blue on my lightest bass fishing tackle with 6lb test fishing out of a kayak earlier this year. I am not sure I would have landed it if I wasn't in the kayak because he literally pulled me around the lake until he got tired. Personally I feel more proud of that catch than a 42lb blue I caught with 20lb test later this year.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jason it can be done and be a lot of fun. Just make sure your drag systems are tuned up. Get ur done brother. Tell your buddies any one can do it with overkill but the light stuff takes talent.

9. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Make sure you shoot a video of that Big-Blue spooling the mini-zebco!!!:eek:oooh::wink::tounge_out:

10. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fishing, to me, is about the heads up challenge of man against fish, and there is no greater test than one's fishing skills against the brute strength of a fish in it's own environment. While we all appreciate having our picture taken with the "big one" finesse vs. overpowering depends greatly on the circumstances. Light tackle in a tournament would equate with taking a bologna sandwich to a steak banquet--a definite no-no, but if you happen to be out for an afternoon of "sport", light tackle could well provide that once in a lifetime opportunity and memories that will last forever. I guess it's a case of whatever floats your boat and I wish you well in your endeavor. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Boated several up to 40lbs and over on 10lb line, flatheads and blues. All I fish with is 25lb mono most the time. But we take the light rods out to and have a blast with em fishen 10lb line. PB flatt was caught on 10lb line 65lb flathead. This year a young man fishen with me nailed a 41lb blue on 10lb test his PB so far. Of couse ya gota define light line a 74lb blue on 25lb test might be considered light line fishen. IF ya are gona fish light loose drag lota line and take your time and expect a few break offs or getten spooled 1 or 2 times. A good spinnen rod and reel help. Have funn and post some pics of monsters they say cant be caught on light gear. Use smaller hooks with a 20lb mono leader and make shure they dang sharp.

12. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    great idea :smile2::smile2:

13. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    sorry bro your ass is going overboard lol do what you do it would be one hell of a fight

14. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i've caught few on 6lb test on my bass rod , nothing to big biggest was close to 20lb but didn't get him in the boat as he got tangled up in my drift sock and then broke the line when i tried to boat him:big_smile: good luck

15. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I think you can do it. It will be a lot of fun but it will probably wear you out. I seen a video of a guy who caught a shark on a disney rod and reel. I think the shark was 100 pounds or more. Let us know how it goes and good luck.

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think it would be a pure adrenaline rush, however, I may wanna research this alittle more. I am an avid CPR guy when it comes to big fish. I am not convinced that trying this would be lethal to the fish, but I understand the stresses that could occur. I just have a burning ambition to challenge myself, and try to land a big blue this way.. rollo

17. Natty Cat

Natty Cat New Member

State:
    ohio
    The fish in picture above was caught from the James river and on the smallest rod in the water I thought the fish was going to rip the guts right out of the reel. If you don't mind chancing losing a reel and the guys don't mind helping you fight the fish I say 'Go For It'!:smile2:

18. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Considering that blues seemingly get a 50 foot running start when they hit the bait, a big blue might just possibly snap your "light tackle" rod in half or... destroy your reel! If you get by the initial hit, you MIGHT have a chance of landing him as they seem to give up quicker than a big flattie. I'll stick to the appropriate equipment. You may lose the fish of a lifetime on the James with your frivolous folly. Not worth the risk to me.

BB in SC

19. CBurns87

CBurns87 New Member

State:
    Topeka Kansas
    I would...thats part of the fun in fishing....trying to do the impossible!!! Hope you have good luck and catch a monster:big_smile::smile2:

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, if you are going to do it, you might just as well up the ante and fish from a kayak! There's a club in Oregon/Washington on the mighty Columbia. To become a member, if I remember correctly, you have to catch a 50+# Chinook from a kayak, or some other tiny boat. Not sure of the exact details, but it's something to that effect. If you have ever been on the mighty Columbia, you KNOW that this would be quite a feat!

Bill in SC