Good Idea or not "Shad Corral"

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TA2D, Apr 27, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am trying to get my wife to help me with a "shad corral" basically my idea is to use 6mm nylon mesh and make it into a cylinder with a couple of weights at the bottom and one of those foam float noodles at the top so that when I catch some shad I can just throw them in the corral and use them at my leisure. I was thinking around 18-24 inches at the top and bottom, by 18 inches deep, it would be collapsable for easy transport, and with the nylon it should be somewhat rot and mildew resistant. Anyone have any experience working with nylon mesh? Any comments or other ideas would be very helpful

Aaron

TA2D

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Wow, you may get invited to that inventor's show on T.V. I have always heard that for shad you need a circular container, and it sounds as though you have that... then I heard that shad knock their scales off when in plastic or metal containers, which causes the water to somewhat spoil and cause the shad to die... sounds like you have that covered also... so I would say the great test would be to fabricate your container, put some shad in it and wait to see what happens. Either way, post the results back on the board so the other brothers may benefit. Luck

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Yeah, do it man! I used one like the link posted that was homemade. i made a big one though. My g-ma just retired from owning a quilting store for 40 years. She lives on a local creek at home. the one i made was 48" in diameter and 48" deep. I put it off her dock in the creek and i kept shad alive for up to 6 weeks (in the dead of summer it was more like two weeks). just don't overstock it. they will school up and beat each other by trying to escape. Keep 10-15 big ones and u'll be good. also, i would keep it in constantly flowing water, not like a bait tank or pond.

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thats very similar to what I want to make, I don't use a whole lot of shad cause I am usually out by myself, so I dont need anything huge. Thanks for the link, I will show that my wife so she can get some ideas.

TA2D

Aaron

5. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    One suggestion I have is to construct a lid because in the mornings when shad are frisky they will jump right out. Another reason, my bait cage kept coming up empty....come to find out, a blue heron would fly up when I would leave and help himself to and all night feast. He would clean me out on my bream, some upwards of 6". Finally figured it out.....2 months later.

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I think that I am going to put a drawstring style closure on the top it, just for those specific reasons.

Aaron

TA2D

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Bass pro also has a similarly designed bait well except it has a velco latch on one side... I have one that i used as a livewell for the last ACATS tournament and well that one velco latch holds well but doesn't keep the lid closed if theirs any drift or the fish wants to come out the top... on either side... If your use the Bass pro model as a guide add more closures on the sides... although i like the pull closure on the cabelas model...

I would also recommend using some sort of dip (rubber preferred if cheap enough) or some sort of non abrasive/soft fabricy stuff to help line(or create) the "corral" so that it doesn't do more damage then good to the fish...

8. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    The material that I want to use is like what they make mesh laundry bags and some tactical vests out of, it's not soft like cotton, but it isn't to stiff either, it should be soft enough to not harm the fish and be collapseable. I was thinking of using a hula hoop for the rings to give it some shape.

TA2D

Aaron

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    before you start putting it together try soaking or running it through a washing machine w/ a whole bottle of dollar store fabric softener...

i think i know which stuff your planning to use and it will hold up fairly well as long as you don't stick hooks/knifes/teeth near it at all cause it will rip. but with shad you should be safe... they won't get stuck in it or hurt them selves too much so you should be good... I would go with the most opaque color you can, with lighter colors being prefered as to not heat the water up too much...