Good frog lures

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by daredevle, Aug 18, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hello brothers i need a good frog lure i already use a snag proof oringal frog but nothing hits it and when a bass does the hook does not set so i need a good frog lure with sharpe hooks thanx brothers:tounge_out:

2. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    a buddy of mine gave me a rubber frog one time that i believe was a berkley? it looked exactly like a frog and everything, yellow with black spots, you hooked them texas style with the 4/0 mustad widegap worm hooks its came with. it worked great, cought a few 4 pounders and my pb of 8 pounds of it. i prefer hard jerkbaits and topwater hula poppers for bass tho.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I prefer scum frogs. My biggest problem was waiting a couple of seconds after the strike before setting the hook.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I fish frogs all the time and catch a lot of big fish on them as well. I use all kinds though depending on the conditions. I like the Stanley Ribbit swim frog when the water is a little darker and I only use black. The Ribbit makes a little more commotion in the water. I also sometimes use a Zoom Horny Toad when the water's dark, but I mostly use it in fairly clear water. I use black in colored water and white, pearl or green in clear water. I've just started using the Spro and Snag Proof frogs and they definitely have a good action and I've started catching a few fish. Seems like it'll be better when the fish don't want to chase a frog. I'm going to use them tomorrow so I'll let ya know how it goes.

5. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanx guys i will try berkly it sounds intersting i hate that wait ing to set that hook tho any good fishing and godbless:wink:

6. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We caught a ton of bass the other day. We caught frogs on the shore and put a weedless hook through their lips and used the actual frog like a lure...oh man was that fun!!!

7. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have used the Manns rat for years..I did buy a couple of those $8.00 Dean Rojas frogs at Bass Pro the other day..The worst problem is them filling up with water and sinking, The Rojas frogs look like they ride up in the front a little more than most which may stop the water from filling up..I have stuck parts of plastic worm inside them before to help with the floating..

8. big_fish

big_fish New Member

State:
    michigan
    i would have to say scum frogs in black

9. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    i had a puppin furbit frog with a spinner. it was cranberry marble

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Try the scum frog seems to be a decent bait.

11. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    i always like the spro bronzeye and bobbys perfect frog until.... my trip down to the deep south.
    there is a web site called anglers-outlet. actually it's a tackle and tour shop out of cape coral florida. if you google it or visit they have some super kick butt articles slash tutorials and let's just say i pretty much chuck horny toads now when cover and conditions dictate a weedless rig.

how good are the horny toads? well if you can catch fish in the ocean where there are no frogs... (frogs and salt are not very fond of each other, kinda like vampires and holy water) then yea horny toads are the ticket.

guy writing the article is a georgia bass veteran bringing the tricks into the flats and backwater. genious !

personally i rarely chuck frogs. i like walking the dog near lillies but if they are super dense or your in slop well thats different :wink:
    regards, m.a.d.

12. ESipes_89

ESipes_89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Simple, the Scum Frog Popper. It's the best of the best.

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I have to agree - the Scum Frog is my #1 choice in heavy cover.

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    The good ole Bonzeye frog (Spro frog) is probably the best. It's a lot easier to "walk the frog" with and I just like the action better. I'm still having a hard time setting the hook with those as opposed to the swimming frogs like the Ribbit or Horny Toad.

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wes I've got to agree with you on the frogs. The Ribbit moves a lot of water and accounts for a lot of fish. With the Spro or Snagproof frogs I add some christmas b3ells to the inside. Add weight and sound. When fishing frogs it is necessary to feel the fish before you set the hook. I like to use Power Pro Braid line when fishing frogs over veg. and trash.

16. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    the poppin furbit
    has a #3 willow blade, designed for heavy weeds, there is no other frog like it
    this is a japanese lure

17. ESipes_89

ESipes_89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thought I should add a few things.

1. Never throw the frog first. Always use a pop'r, crazy crawler, or some other topwater bait near the edge of the cover first. Throwing a frog on top of cover before trying to throw near the cover can spook the fish. This is also why I use the Scum Frog Popper, I don't have to retie. I throw it parallel to the cover first. It has a lip similar to a conventional pop'r and makes plenty of noise.

2. If possible, use 20+ lb. braid to cut though heavy cover. Mono and flouro just don't cut it. (pun intended:wink:) Plus, it floats.

3. Set your drag appropriatly. If you can't pull line out using your hand, it's too tight. This will help the fish to swim through the weeds without catching on so many. If it does catch to many weeds to reel in properly just tighten it back up a bit.

4. Most important, DO NOT SET THE HOOK UNTIL YOU FEEL THE FISH PULL!!!! I cannot stress this enough.

Hope this helps,
    -Eric

18. isaiahedwards

isaiahedwards New Member

State:
    Cincinnati.Ohio
    not setting the hook in results watching your lure come out of the water
    right past ya... and your standing there watching, i have read
    fishing mags and read online wait til you feel the tug then do a side sweep
    like you see the pros do

19. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    All hail the Dean Rojas Spro frogs!:worship::worship::worship::worship:
    And hail the fishing buddy who gave you one so you didn't have to spend $8!

Really, learn to wait and set the hook, you'll be glad you did!:wink: