Good Friends and Tightlines

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Cattoo, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    well it's the end of july, a time when i am usually not doing a lot of catfishing (in the daylight hours at least), and i have had one of the best catfish weekends ever! i got to fish 3 days on the ohio and had a great time. friday evening, my friend dale and i went over below cannelton l&d(duh) and planned on fishing that evening and camping on the sand bar and fishing the next morning back on the rocks. we got quite soaked but had one heck of a time. dale was kinda new to this kind of fishing so it was fun showing him some of the ins and outs. he caught several smaller blues and flats. he caught the first one on my pole while i went to the truck for some more colas. i told him he couldnt count it cuz it was caught on my rod. eventually i decided he could count it as half a fish. lol. anyway i caught a few but i was having more fun watching him. he had a ball! so, this GOD awful storm rolls in and we wade it out. i didnt know about camping but dale was game so i couldnt wimp out. that was the worst rain storm i have ever fished through! i know we spent at least 1 hour under a make shift canopy attached to hatch of my jeep just staring at empty rod holders. we did finally get to fish off the sandbar but the only thing biting was gar. the next morning was a totaly different story. we went back to the rocks and caught the crap out of them! the current was barely coming out of the dam and i began casting right out in front of the first gate. the flats were on a tear! i caught 4 flats on 4 casts. that is the most flats i have ever caught at one time. we wound up catching several blues too. the sirens then began to go off and the current came rolling out and that was the end of that but man what a time we had! we had several smaller fish on the stringer and we released a few larger ones. here are some pics. oh yeah and to top it all off a guy pulled up in a boat and asked if we wanted some fish and we said sure. i assumed he had one or two. he gave us 2 channels and 6 healthy blues! we cleaned fish til i thought my arm would fall off!

Attached Files:

2. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    like i said in my previous post, this was one heck of a weekend for catting. another friend of mine called my last night and i told him the cats were biting in the river, so needless to say i was back at cannelton this morning. my very first cast, even before the sinker hit bottom, a cat slammed my rod and after a brief struggle, i landed a beautiful blue in the 10 pound range. i was pumped. the very next cast, the same thing, slam!! i set the hook and realized right away that this was a good fish. i started to pump my rod and...nothing! my line snapped! i had just retied too. i must have not checked far enough up the line for bad spots. oh well. anyway my buddy ted and his 12 year old son travis( who is a catfishing maniac by the way) who i came with werent doing so good. i really felt bad. i wanted them to catch some good fish. i introduced them to the place a couple years ago and even sold em some of my old rods and stuff (cheap) in hopes they could get hold of some big cats. they always tease me cuz most of the time they just basically sit and watch me catch cats. i was determined today was not going to be that way. luckily we were the only ones there so we could spread out a little and cover more water. the current had changed even more from the day before so i wasnt quite sure where they would be so we all 3 tried different areas. finally ted nailed one! it was about an 8 pounder. they were wanting to keep a few so we put it on the stringer. a little while later he caught another one. then i caught another. travis had yet to catch one but that boy can sure net a fish now! i kept teasing him about being the net boy but i was wanting so bad for him to catch one. it wasnt one of those deals where you could set the hook and hand him the rod and let him land it either. he didnt want nothing to do with that. he wanted his own fish by golly! so he keeps asking me where i think he should cast and i tell him a few places and he keeps getting hung up. he was getting very discouraged so i told i lost about 20 sinkers the night before ( well me and dale did) so he didnt think he was doing so bad. finally he asks if i think he should throw it straight out in the heavy stuff and i said sure. first cast, bam! he pulls in a nice little flat about 8 pounds or so. he was tickled but he wanted one bigger! he casts again and bam! another flat! we fished for a little while longer and caught a few more and finally called it a day. i think we kept 6 fish (which is about all you really want to pack out of those rocks anyway!) and had a ball! boy i sure am tired! i hope they had fun cleaning them too! here are a few pics.

Attached Files:

3. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like a good time was had by all. Thanks for sharin'..

4. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Great trip & pics too.:0a22::go:

5. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    That sure look's like a nasty place too fish:crazy: But it work's for you, that's all that count's:wink:

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice fish!

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Keith, Congrats on a bunch of nice fish. Ya'll sure tore em up and thanks for the pictures. Vern

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Sounds like a good time, thanks for sharing

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks for pics and story. Thanks for taking a kid fishin!!

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing your fishing trip with us. You guys caught some nice fish. Thanks for sharing the pics.:smile2: