GOOD FISHING

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by dkrumme, Apr 5, 2009.

1. dkrumme

dkrumme New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I NEED TO FIND A GOOD LAKE OR RIVER TO FIND CATFISH AROUND OKC SOMEONE SAID DEEP FORK RIVER OR CIMMERON

2. Bullheaded

Bullheaded New Member

State:
    Norman Ok
    If you ever get down around Norman Thunderbird is a good place to fish.

3. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Thunderbird is good, and if you're ever around the Edmond/ Luther area the North Canadian holds a few big cats. Draper is decent for crappie, but not so much for catfish.

4. dkrumme

dkrumme New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    were is a good place to catch good size catfish

5. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Good size? Depends on your idea of good size. Lol. Like I said, the North Canadian holds some good size cats, biggest I've heard of coming out of there was 42#. I hear Thunderbird is decent, but the biggest I've caught out of there was 12#. Heard of some big ones coming out of there but those sources really aren't all that reliable. Just some folks down at the dock trading fishing stories.

6. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've got the same problem finding catfish in the OKC area. I've fished Arcadia alot with no success. I can catch plenty of crappie at thunderbird but no cats. Sadly the most cats I've caught in the area is at Hefner, typically thought of as the worst lake in the area.

7. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Thunderbird is very good catfish lake. It's full of blues, channels and flatheads. 40+ pound cats are very common. The key is having a boat and depth finder.

8. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Trever I have fished for cats at thunderbird a couple of times both with jugs. Once I caught only one small blue and the other time half my bait was gone. I think somebody got to my jugs before I did. Where is a good Blue catfish hangout on that lake?

9. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The blues are pretty common in the main body of the lake, around deep channels. How do you have your jugs rigged, because I catch most of my blues on jugs?

10. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've made flagging noodle jugs with two circle hooks neer the bottom. My main line is about 15 to 20 feet. I normally place them neer a channel in 15 foot of water. What am I doing wrong?

11. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Your jugs during the summer should be set in 15-25' next to the channel on a flat. During the winter you can be as shallow as 10' next to the channel on the windy side of a causeway or riprap. The riprap applies in both cases.

12. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Try moving one of your hooks to around 6-8ft. on the main line. This should increase your number of blue cats.

13. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I always thought during the winter fish deep during the summer fish sallow am I wrong?