Good fishing spots. Do you tell or keep them to yourself?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kenlaw76, Dec 16, 2008.

1. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    I am curious to see what you guys think about this subject. I fish around the Philly area and it is hard to find good spots. There isan't much parking in that area that is open all night so everyone is always looking to find a spot that is open all night. I don't tell many people about my spots cause I am affraid of that hole getting over-pressured and I know that they will keep pounding that spot and taking people that are going to tell other people and so on and so on. I fish curtin parts of the river with curtin people and that seems to keep the numbers down at my spots. How do you guys feel on the topic?

2. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    iT DEPENDS on the person I have some friends that I share spots that wan't let them out just leting anyone know no way:smile2:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The obvious holes that everyone knows and fishes I will talk about or give to others sometimes. I am talking about the big holes on outside bends that anyone can look at and tell its a "hole" LOL. The other areas that aren't obvious, and get me my best cats of the year mostly, I tell nobody except my tourney partner. We often only visit these spots a few times a year, and never hardly fish them except for during the tournament. I have been notorious for also starting the boat after dark, dragging poles and anchors in quickly to leave these spots if I hear another boat coming .. You have to remember though, I fish a medium to small sized system compared to rivers such as the Ohio. So, keeping secrets on spots are probably a little more important than if I fished a bigger impoundment on a day to day basis... rollo

4. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    share with guys on here that live hundreds of miles away.share the good holes with no one local but share the not so good with any one.

5. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    I don't even tell my wife.

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I have mixed feelings on the subject. Usually the only thing I ask of people I tell my spots too are if I'm out there at least call first but I usually just tell my good friends and guys that I fish with regularly anyway. I'd cry if I came out and there were guys sitting in places I usually fish, especially guys I didn't know.

However, I really feel like a JERK when I say "my spot" like I purchased the piece of water or something.

Also, the spots that we fish are rarely if ever fished other than by our little group of fishermen. Not a lot of guys fish cats around here, everybody would rather catch a stupid little flounder or a speckled trout:smile2:

I guess in the end it all comes down to trust. The guys I tell my spots to I know aren't going to go telling everybody. All the guys in our bass club knows where everybody else fishes and where their hot spots are, but we all have 1 spot that's kind of "off limits" to the other guys, however the rest are all first come first served and that's just the way it is. If you're there before me then so be it.

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Nope............................:eek:oooh::tounge_out::smile2::wink:

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I can see both sides but here is how I look at it.
    I spend alot of time locating my spots, especially for flatheads. I bank fish alot so I have to walk to find these holes. I use MY gas getting to different stretches of river to explore them. I see my river 12 months out of the year. I fish many trips with no fish waiting for the big one that I know is there.
    My point is that too many people want a quick fix to catchin big fish and it just doesnt work like that. You have to put your time in and pay your dues. I am not going to give up something that I worked so hard for to someone who, in my eyes, doesnt deserve it.
    I will take people that are new to fishing to the river. Not my holes. If they dont seem to enjoy the nights were the fish arent biting or the nights were there arent any hogs then they will never go with me again. I take my fishin seriously but I just enjoy being on the river. Fish or no fish.
    If they put the time in and find one of my holes, then more power to them. But I am not gonna just give them up.
    I will take friends to my spots if they have taken me to one of theirs though.
    Plus, I know that if I catch a nice one, he is going back. If I told someone about a spot, there is no guarantee they will do the same.
    Thats my take.:wink::smile2:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well said bro.. so now I don't sound like the only azz here... you are exactly right! And you have them friends also, .... call me when they are biting! YEAH! SURE WILL...LOL>>>rollo

10. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    You're not an azz rollo, you just protect the spots you worked hard to find. Like I said, the guys that I share info with are the people I fish with on a regular basis, and they're the same guys that share any info they have with me. These are the same people that like me have been out there fishing when they aren't biting and have spent hours on end by themselves trying to figure things out. Like you said though, there are a few of those friends that only want to go when they are biting and that's why I only fish with a few guys, if you aint gonna go in the cold, rain, wind, all to not catch anything then ya probably won't fish with me too long:wink:

Over the past year we've got a pretty good small group of us that are bound and determined to figure out both the river and the lake. But we've got that trust and we also are friendly enough that we can fish at the same time and not get in each others way or pizz each other off. If none of us had shared out spots and info with one another I doubt that any of us would be catching as many fish and as big a fish as we have over the past year.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT:cool2:!

But it's all about TRUST!

12. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    HEAR NO / SEE NO / SPEAK NO!

Even if I did go with a good friend to a spot that took him probaly weeks to find as discribed in the above post. I would never go that spot again without him.

It takes Time&$$$ to figure Lakes,Ponds,streams,creeks,and small rivers like I fish out of,and when you do find them ( FEW )under-cuts,sand bars with clay & small rock mounds,Humps,Channels,rock-flats,Holes,underwater dead-falls/stumps YOU KNOW Them signiture hot spots,That BOSS HOG calls home!!.:cool2:

I just do not think I could tell anyone,and I know everybody is not alike,But I took a fellow to a spot one time that was litterly full of fish,and you had to go through privite property to get to it,only to have him come back with everyone he knew that had a fishing pole..littered the place up and ruined a great fishing spot for me.Man that place was full of Big Fish TOO!!:angry:

Maybe I might take someone and get him close enough to catch a couple of kittens that stray from the house.:smile2:

Good ? YOU ASKED Bro, But I wish I had never read this thread LOL.that was a bad memory,:roll_eyes::crazy:

13. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I trust spots to family only or people I know who won't trash the place up and drag a bunch of people to the spot I took time to clear out and keep cleared out of weeds ,overhanging trees and trash I once took 7 bags of trash out of a spot I fished at only occasionally the next time I go there some guy is there and he has a fire goin rubber gloves layin all over beer cans scattered everyplace he said I'm leaving you can fish I said I'll put out the fire shakin my head I felt like the native american guy with the teardrop runnin down his face

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    John are you saying your wife can't keep a secret?:smile2: Great Answer. Reps.

15. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I've thought about this all day. I fish from both the bank and boat. One of my favorite bank fishing spots is on the edge of a park that has lots of family traffic through it. On numerous occasions, I've had people walk up and ask if I'm catching anything. Almost all of them will recommend another spot where someone else had done well. What they don't say is where they go fishing or where they do well. They notice four to six rods in the holder in the front of my truck and most of the time they just sit there without a bite. What they don't see is the one next to the bank that's in a holder away from the rest and is cast just next to the shore under a mesquite tree. They don't know that under the tree is a great spot. I guess I'm like everyone else, I don't give up "the spot", but I do give general locations about the other locations I fish. If I'm on the water, It's a completely different story. Everyone keeps everything to themselves. It's like Shultz always said.... I know nothing!
    Do I feel bad, no! It's like being in school, do your homework, study, and you don't have to cheat.

16. payton350

payton350 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    For the most part I don't tell many people about my spots, but sometimes I will because most people don't like to go to the rural areas, they want to go to the easy to fish areas that don't require going through mud or walking a mile or 2.

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I fish primarily from a boat and I don't worry too much about telling people where I fish. **** It is important to note that ALL of my "holes" have been given to me by other members on the BOC! Man I love this site

18. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    It doesn’t matter if its my best friend or someone I just met, I give them the same advice. I always recommend places that I know they will catch fish. However if your from this area then you probably already know about the places I’ll send you to. I know this probably sounds selfish but when it comes to my honey holes, I feel that they are mine. It took me along time to find those places. I feel people should have to pay there dues just like I did and learn to find them for themselves. Besides, anytime I have heard of someone sharing there prime spots, a few weeks later you hear about how the spot has been taken over.

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yep im done telling anyone. i learned my lesson. :embarassed: i also know that most of them dont do as good as i do so hopefuly they move on soon.

20. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It doesn't bother me to share my spots any more. There was a time in my life that I was miserly and SELFISH. But With public waters you have no more say about a spot than you do the fish that are in the water. It would bother me to show someone and then have them in one of my favorite spots every time I wished to go fishing though.