good fish finder for aroud $100

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by kyledbarnes, Dec 30, 2008.

1. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    what is a good fish finder for aroud 100 bucks?

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    $100.00 is a little too cheap for fish finders.
    For a low budget finder I'd check out ebay.
    have a good one
    just

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    if you are willing to spend around 200, you can get the humminbird 565 and it works real good.

for around 140 you can get the garmin 140 and it ain't too bad either

4. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi

kyledbarnes spend the extra $50-$100!!!

I had a nice Lowrance I was using for a few years. Last spring I was swapping a new battery in the boat. Upon removing the old battery, I dropped the positive lead to the Lowrance on the ground of another battery(and like a dumba*s, had no fuse on the Lowrance). Needless to say the Lowrance wouldn't power up for me, so I had to buy another graph(fish finder). I figured I could get away with a cheap $120 Hummingbird, or until I got a high end or fixed mine. Big mistake though!! Lets just say its good for water depth, water temp and thats pretty much it. If I were to be in the same situation again, I would just wait a few more weeks, save some more money and buy something $200+!

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I bought a piranna/humbird fer right at 100 last yr and it works fer what I need it has depth & water temp-after that dont realy need it(LOL)

6. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Eagle 320

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    $130 humminbird 525 at cabelas

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    piranaha p- max 220 farm and home 100bucks plus tax Keokuk IA>

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The eagle cuda 168, which sells for around 75.00 is a fairly decent cheap finder. It gives depth, surface water temperature and fish arcs. Don't expect it to do as a high end one will do, but if that is your budget and your not willing to wait and save, get the 168.

10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    525 hummingbird for 125

11. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    For less than 100 bucks i bought the eagle 168 for its portable capabilities and the cost for my inflatable boat. I mainly bought it for water depth and temp. Simple to use.

12. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Don't let these big spenders 'round here fool you. Catfish Kenny has the answer! Check out http://store.humminbird.com/humminbird-products/sonar/piranhamax/piranhamax-220/prod406870-1.html.

You can't beat this fishfinder for the price. No, really. Check the specs. It has dual beam capability that you will find in much more expensive systems.

This is a perfect fishfinder for katyakers like me!

13. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I got a Humminbird 525 for $126.00 at Walmart. Plan on getting a dual beam next year.

14. CharlieV

CharlieV New Member

State:
    Kirksville, MO
    i am just curious, do you guys see any difference between the portable models and the regular ones, i will fish mostly out of a canoe and don't really care to hard mount a fish finder so the portables appeal to me but they cost more (battery, charger and other crap i suppose) is there a way to make the regular models more portable? secondarily, i was looking at a 565 portable, would i be just as well off looking at one of these less expensive units (the 220 mentioned above perhaps)? what real on the water benefit would a slightly more expensive model give you?
    Charlie

15. CharlieV

CharlieV New Member

State:
    Kirksville, MO
    sorry for all the questions strung togather, i'm pretty new to all this, i appreciate you guys' patients. . .

16. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    What do you all think of this model ? the 717, i read over it and it seems that it would be a pretty reasonable model for what i want or is it all personal preference to what each likes? thanks

17. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The portable Humminbirds that I have seen are usually different only in that the transducer has a suction cup and, as you say, the may provide a battery pack, etc.

As a kayaker, I have a permanent, through-the-hull installation (Humminbird PiranhaMAX 220 duak-beam [was $99 at BPS]) and am very pleased with it. I have mounted the transducer with Marine Goop, which works fine. You can place the transducer in a bag of water (I am told) and get similar results.

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer, but it really depends on your situation. If you own the canoe and intend to use the fishfinder only on that canoe, then a non-portable is probably fine. The portable, though, would be a good solution for a canoe regardless.

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I think the portables are a good value...fishing out of a canoe, you're going to have to have a battery and charger either way you go. The portable gives you a mount/battery box, as well. Without it, you would have to cobble something together, and probably have wires strung all over the place.

I'm not too wild about the suction cup transducer mount, however, although it will get you by. Cabelas sells a 'ducer mount that clamps on to the transom, or in the case of a canoe, gunwale. I'm going to order one.

How much depth finder you need is better defined by the question, "How much will you use?" Be honest. If you're a techno geek that likes his toys, and will get some serious use out of all the bells and whistles, go for the gold. Otherwise, the bottom end stuff will tell you depth and temp as well as units costing 10 times as much.

19. CharlieV

CharlieV New Member

State:
    Kirksville, MO
    thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it, i am currently thinking i might go with a humminbird 727 then pick up a battery for it and put the unit and battery in a case of some sort, maybe a little pelican case or something, or i might still just go with the 565. . . just out of curiosity, what happens if i flip the boat while the fishfinder is running? i cannot remember the last time i flipped unintentionally but undoubtedly the first time out with an expensive piece of electronics onboard i'll go for a swim. . .:roll_eyes:
    thanks again,
    Charlie

20. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    i have one of the 75.00 cudas from walmart and it works fine - if you turn the fish id on it's easy for a beginner ( myself ) I use it at night alot and it's big enough to see yet small enough it's not in the way in my 14ft flat bottom. I typically look for what depth most the fish are holding at and try to fish an area with that depth with deeper water and cover close by. Say you see most fish at 8 to 12 foot deep in 30ft of water. That tells me to target points / creek channels / or flats that offer areas of 6 to 10 foot of water. Thats my thoughts and how i use mine and it seems to work fairly well. Better than just visually trying to find a good spot. I've heard that 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water so it ups my success with out spending alot of money! Hope this is usefull to someone:roll_eyes: