good first catfishing trip of the year!!!!

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by big pappa, Jan 22, 2010.

1. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    me and a friend went to dam 10 this morning and fished from 10 till 1 and caught 15 head. they were biting slow and not very hard and they weren't very big (3 to 5 pounds),, but all in all it was a good day,,they had the river running 75,000, almost too big to fish the flood gates, lots of birds scooping up shad, we stoped by a lake and took shad with us so i didnt try to catch any, but looked like they were up there!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    looks like a fun day jamie

3. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    I'm jealous...looks like a good time. Glad y'all caught some. 2 more weekends of duck huntin' and I'll get back after them myeslf.

4. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Looks like a great start to the season for you. Thanks for the report. I have been thinking of putting in there and fishing downstream from there as I am only about 20 minutes from there.

5. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    there r lots of deep spots between dam and bridge, and i have cn lots of people fish down stream and do real good!!!!

6. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    Thanks for the report. Good to see someone is catching fish. I keep thinking that it will start here soon but I talked to a fishing buddy of mine that went Wen, and didn't do much good.

7. skipjacks

skipjacks New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Great to hear and see some winter fishing results on the Arkansas river. Especially from the #10 area where I can hopefully do some winter bank fishing. Problem is ; I am new to all this cold weather cat fishing and do not know where to set up. Went to the powerhouse the other day and it was a real experience. Quite intimidating to a new fellow with small gear and "kids outfits" as one grizzled old salt commented. Is there someplace to bankfish there that would be pretty good during these colder months. Last year I waited too long and the old river blew out till the heat was on. Any help would be appreciated. I live up above Batesville and all the old guys there say "try the Arkansas river at Dardanelle for the good cats" or "The mississippi for the real Fish". Good info is tough to get and the Mississippi is too far for me to run around to. Sometimes the white river is good when it warms up but, with all the tips for" big cats in winter " Big pappa"s results have prompted me to ask about the river at Dardanelle. I think that is the same as dam #10. Need some help . Hope to hear something besides "just throw out anywhere". I'll even hold my breath for a good spot to set up & have some luck.

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome to the USCA Clarence... always glad to see another Arkie join up. I'm from south Ark so can't give ya any reports for around your area but I'm sure someone will be along and help ya out some with your question.

You might try giving a shout to big pappa in a pm or TOPS or rohaus. They all live up around that area.

Good luck.

9. mrgib31

mrgib31 New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansa
    Wher is lock 10? I can't find it on the web site. Thanks guys!

10. cassk

cassk New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Jamie... glad you all had a good day... ty for pic's... the weather was not bad yesterday.. today has been a mess.. and here comes the cold back!! Come on spring!!

11. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    dam 10,,,, that is the lock&dam at Dardanelle dam 9 is at morrilton ,, and 8 is at toad suck,, sorry for any confusion

12. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark

i see people catching fish from the bank most have big poles and fish the hydro tubes,,, but i also see people with (kids rigs as you called them) (i caught a 44 pounder on a kids rig last year at dardenelle) fishing from the end of the parking lot on t he dardenelle side and catching fish,,, also a good place is on the lock side (Russellville side) at the end on the long wall,, all you gotta do is get where the current meats the still water and throw it as far as you can and hang on!!! if you want any more info shoot me a pm,,, and welcome,,

13. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark

thanks and good luck... i should have went back this morning,, thought it would b raining by 10 !!!!

14. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Hey Jamie I was thinking of Toad Suck when I said I was 20 minutes away and wanting to fish downstream, hearing about your success got me all excited.

15. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    i thought you might have moved!@!!! there would be a bunch of water at toad suck!!!!

16. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Nope I haven't moved. I am going to put a new fish finder on my boat tommorrow so the next weekend of good weather I am going to give it a try. I got a Hummingbird 565 which is a big upgrade from what came on my boat.

17. mrgib31

mrgib31 New Member

State:
    Conway, Arkansa
    I have never fished the river that far north so I will have to give it a try. Sounds like it would be a good time.

18. skipjacks

skipjacks New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks for the info big pappa and would send a pm for more details if I could. Seems like some 404 error has dademoss' PM " how to info" blocked. You have given me a starting place on both sides of the river. Are they ok in the colder weather? Also, do you know anything about #9 area for wintertime success. This area is closer for me but is it as good? I have lost lots of gear real quick fishing at the powerhouse inlet at morrilton, with only small fish to show for the trouble and expense. Only fished there in summer and spring when the river was on a bender. I am patient when fishing and stay 8 hrs and like all night in warm weather. Just need a good winter spot.:fingers-crossed: Like fishing the ocean with a zebco 202. Never know whats going to bite but the big fish are there. Hope I haven't overfilled your plate with requests.

19. big pappa

big pappa New Member

State:
    perry, Ark
    i am just 5 miles from there,,, when i use to fish from the bank it was from the point (n between the hydro and the dam) super good place if the flood gates and hydro are running,, have caught many limits therein way less than 8 hours!! 25 lbs probably biggest one but many over 10!! no hang ups ether!!!! i also use to fish on the other side of river (south side) riverview side !!! where the power lines go across the river, its about a 400 yard walk to the east from the parking lot , but have caught some gooduns there seen a 56 pounder come from there.. good luck maybe c u there some time

20. skipjacks

skipjacks New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Thanks alot. I have seen folks fishing the point also and will try it soon. Maybe we can run into each other there before to long.:handshake: Am planning a trip there after this cold spell. We will probably get hit with ice Thursday up here round Mtn. View. Can't wait for a good run or two and stretch some line. That point is fishable at about any water level below 200,000 I think. Sounds real good. The other is pretty far. Thanks again.