Good deed for the day

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by gargoil77, Jul 17, 2006.

1. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Friday night I went to Hooters with a friend to have a couple of beers. After he left, I sat there for awhile talking to the waitress. The restaurant was packed. People standing waiting for tables to open up. I noticed a soldier standing alone waiting for a table. I motioned him over and told him to have a seat because I was leaving soon. He ordered his dinner and we talked for awhile. He was in the reserves and just got off work. He also just got back from the Middle East. I told my waitress to put his dinner on my tab. I finished my beer, paid the bill, shook the soldiers hand and thanked him for serving our country.
    He didn't know that I paid for his dinner until after I left. Am I a nice guy or what?

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    You are a good man Mark, thanks for helping out a soldier.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    That sounds like a good deed to me. I'm sure he really appreciated to. I don't think our Soldiers get enough appreciton from the general public.

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Good deeds never go unrewarded Thanks . I wish more people would do things like that.

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Mark,

I want everyone one here to know how much what you did meant to that soldier. With all the crap on the media, military cutbacks, increased deployments, longer deployments (from 120 days to 179 days), and decreasing benifits it is hard to keep your chin up sometimes. It is people like you that keeps us motivated and I salute you for being an outstanding citizen.

David

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mark:
    That was extremely kind of you,and I am proud of you for doing that. All our men and women of the Armed Forces need to have a "pat on the back" for assuring us of our freedom. Way to go Brother!!!:wink:

7. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Returning Soldiers, Marines, Sailors and Airmen never buy thier drinks when I'm in the Applebees or on a plane. My small town (Newbern pop 2700) buried a hero last week. I never got to buy him one. We did a hold a candle light vigil for the return of his body. Visitation and funeral were held in our county high school. Uniformed veterans stood guard over his caket the entire trip from Memphis airport untill he was buried.
    http://www.stategazette.com/photos/10/57/75/1057759-M.jpg

Pfc. Kevin F. Edgin, with the Army's 87th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division based in Fort Drum, N.Y., died Thursday in Helmand province's Baghran Valley.
    "We're not handling it," Gordon Edgin said Saturday. "I'm not crying at this very moment, but I have been for the past two days."
    Kevin Edgin graduated from Dyer County High School in 1993. He didn't like studying, but he loved hunting and playing football and was named team MVP his senior year.
    He was the youngest of three sons and lived at home with his parents. He'd never married. He had the same friends since kindergarten.
    After high school, he took construction jobs. Most recently, he had been putting up drywall. In 2004, he decided to join the Army, against his father's wishes.
    "I was dead against it," said Gordon Edgin, who'd also served in the Army. "I didn't want him to go. He just said, 'I'm going. period.' Can't argue with a grown man."
    The father said his son knew he'd likely be sent to Iraq or Afghanistan.
    "I think he was proud. He enjoyed service," Gordon Edgin said.
    The Edgins have received countless calls and visits from townspeople and officials.
    "Everybody loved him," his father said. "He was just a good guy that we don't have anymore."
    The Army did not confirm if Edgin was the same soldier reported killed when militants attacked a coalition convoy in the Baghran Valley on Thursday. Spokesman Sgt. Chris Miller said Friday that one soldier was killed and another wounded, but would not give details about the identity or nationality of the dead soldier. Five militants died when the coalition forces returned fire, he said.

8. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    you are a great guy...

thanks for doin that

VERY nice of you...

and if i ever get the chance to do so i will do it

i never like reading them storys backwater ....just so sad to hear about them:sad_2a:

Jeff

9. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That was an awesome gesture!!! Great job!!!

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    You are indeed a good guy, Mark! I don't care what Teays sez about'cha.

11. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    A very nice thing to do..
    More people should act like that

12. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Great thing to do brother!

13. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    thanks what a great guy

14. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Mark, that soldier told everybody in his unit that there are still people out there that support the troops. I am sure it made his week. I know how I felt when I was in the service and people would thank me for serving our country. You did a good thing.

15. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yes Mark, you are a great guy for what you did. Thanks for what you did.

16. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    On my way back to the Middle East after R&R I stopped in Atlanta. Another soldier and I had lunch and when we asked the waitress for our bill she told us someone had already paid for it. Thank you to whoever it was.

17. gone_fishin

gone_fishin New Member

State:
    Logansport, Indiana
    Its people like you who really make us feel appreciated.

18. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I think more and more people on here are really looking in the mirror.They are starting to see what we see in each other in themselves.It is a wonderful thing,is it not?You people on here sure make me feel good.I think a lot of you are feeling good with me.That makes me feel even better.I surly love this wonderful bunch of people.Thank you.peewee-williams

19. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Thank you Mark! As an ex service member, I know he really appreciated your kindness. When I am in public shopping, and see someone in uniform, I always go over to shake their hand, and thank them for their service, and chat a little. Good fishin', Jack. :smile2:

20. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Thank you for taking care of one of ours! and for all that is interested the Army has a safety program called Guardian Angel program to take care of our service personnel as they return from harms way. Please do what you can if nothing else than a ride home safely or a pat on the back. Check it out here:

https://crcapps2.crc.army.mil/guardianangel/index.html

God bless you all!

Daryl
    Aftercats