Good Deal on a boat ??

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by devildogcollier, Jun 25, 2009.

1. devildogcollier

devildogcollier New Member

State:
    Virginia by way of Alabam
    Hey guys, i just wanted to ask if yall think this is a good deal or not.........I found a guy selling a 14' Lowe River Jon Boat with a trailer, a 40# Minn Kota on the front and a 50# Minn Kota on the back, also included is a Lowrance fish finder, and the boat had a built in cooler/live well.. boat was two years old......asking price........$850.00.....I was going to look at the boat and had been in contact with the guy about buying it but found out last night that he sold it to someone else and didnt even bother calling me to let me know !!! i was just wondering if a package like this would be a GOOD deal for me to look for in the future, or something similar ???????????

Thanks for your help guys,

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice Rig Eric. The trailer under the boat is worth $500. I fished out of a 14 foot Starcraft aluminum V pushed by a 15 HP Yamaha for years. I sold i two years ago.(Dummy Me) Now I am boatless for duck hunting in the winter!

That boat saw plenty of cats over 30 pounds. If you can up the money, you can buy a 16 foot with a 30 HP for $1500 or so. If not, befriend somebody and fish on their boat. Soldiers are always welcome on mine!

3. devildogcollier

State:
    yeah, i figured it was probably a decent deal....i was gonna get it but the guy sold it before i could get out there....im just looking for a simple rig that will allow me to Effectivley fish and at the same time stick around the $1000.00 dollar range.....(i dont get paid very much, and betwen me dumping money into my 73' Nova, My 95' camaro and my 96' dakota to keep them running, im a little short on what i can spend on a boat-trailer-engine package).........thanks for the reply and the invitation,,,, ANYTIME you want a fishin buddy i would definitely accept the invite !!!! Thanks paraguayguy !

4. devildogcollier

State:
    or then again,,,,we could always go on a hunt...heck, i might even let you use one of my bows or the Marlin 55 ....LOL

5. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Definately missed a deal but during times like these you are apt to find another real soon. Thanks for your service to our country, I appriciate your sacrifices to protect my and the freedom of my family! Good luck on finding that next deal!

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    If money is that tight...beware the cost of boat ownership after the initial buy. Tags, licenses, personal property taxes....and the dreaded maintenance when things go wrong....which they inevitably will. I guess it won't be so bad with trolling motors, but those damn engines are a money pit. I'm just very fortunate I have a good warranty on mine.

7. devildogcollier

State:
  8. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    B = Bet
    O = On
    A = Another
    T = Thousand

A boat is a hole in the water that you throw money in to.

But, I wouldn't give up mine for anything.

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    LMAO! I agree completely!

10. cyrusthegreat

cyrusthegreat New Member

State:
    virginia
    My first boat was a new boat, which I still have. It's not very big, but since I fish almost every weekend, and twice on Sunday, I certainly have gotten good use out of it. A new boat is expensive, though. As others have said the engine is the most expensive piece on the boat. It is also the most important piece of equipment, unless you enjoy swimming in a river dragging a boat. The Potomac sometimes has deep swells, so the John Boat will only work on calm water. I've had water come over the bow of my 14 foot V hull boat while on Pohick Bay. I've also seen smaller boats become swamped while on the Potomac.

When choosing the boat make sure it will survive the location you'll fish most. A tow will cost a portion of the whole cost of the boat.

My boat is a little 14 footer with a 25 hp motor, but it handles the Potomac well under most circumstances. I was almost swamped before because a yacht flew by me while I was fishing, and his wake was pretty big.

Make sure the engine runs well, and the boat is water worthy.

You're located close to me, near Quantico, so let me know if you want to link up some time. I can pick you up.

Take care, and keep an eye out for good boats. Check craigslist and stop by some of the local boat stores. Sometimes they're looking to dump some excess boats, and you might benefit.

11. devildogcollier

State:
    Yeah, trust me guys,,,,i know all about money pits....my 73' Nova is definitely one !!! lol....but i gotta have my toys