Good day on the river.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by FREESPOOL, Dec 2, 2007.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I went out on the Mississippi with Ryan today. It was my first time fishing down south. The river below the JB bridge is completely different from the Alton area. I liked it a lot, it's just such a long drive for me.
    Anyways, I introduced Ryan to my crude setup of a catfishing rig. I think he enjoyed being able to lay back on the lounge seats while waiting on kitties though. :wink:
    The weather for December was perfect. The temperature was rising all day long. It was the warmest after dark. And we didn't catch a rain drop all day long despite the weather forcast. We probably didn't get out on the water till a little after 11 am. And we ended up pulling the boat out of the water around 10ish this evening.
    We setup on the first hole and within about 15 or 20 minutes my pole broke up the conversation with some severe screaming. It wound up being a 38 lber. (tied my PB) And that sucker put up a great fight. :big_smile: While we were taking the photos, my other rod started bucking and screaming. I grabbed it and fought about a minute and he broke the leader. It felt as though he had me wrapped around a rock. But for the minute I got to fight him he felt like he has some weight to him. :confused2:
    After that we tried a couple other holes without much luck. Ryan was playing with some little rats here and there. But I don't think it was anything big enough to fit the bait in it's mouth. Then Ryan finally pulled in a 7.5 lber. A hole or two later I managed to let two more decent fish get away without getting hooked up. (shut up Ryan) And then Ryan's pole starts bucking and he caught a 27.5 lber. Which also put up a good fight.
    So all in all it turned out to be a good day. Thanks again Ryan for showing me around down there.
    Oh, on the way back we had a couple hairy moments with some very large waves. Lets just say it washed the deck of my toon off pretty good. :crazy:
    Anyways, I can't wait to get back out again!!!
    Here's some pictures.

Attached Files:

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Sounds like a great day! Sure beats working.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thanx for sharein the adventure.

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    congrats on the nice fish thanks for sharing the pics

5. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Great job dan ,keep at it your catch bigger:wink:

6. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Congrats on a great day of fishin. I think I need to head to St. Louis one of these first days

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Way to go guys. Outstanding day on the water between two new fishing buddies. Thats what the BOC is ALL about. Bringing brothers together who share a similiar passion. Thanks for sharing your story and the photos. Those are some nice fish, and they are even above the "dink" category in Gary's book. :smile2::smile2:

8. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Gee Dan, I think my cell phone must be broken again. I've had it with me all weekend and it didn't ring once when you and Ryan were trying to INVITE me along!:too_sad:

I'm wanting to try that section of the river also, never been below Alton. It's a long drive for me too.

Sounds like a prett nice day on the water.

What was the bait? Did I miss that part? Some of Ole Ryans skippies?:dribble:

Though shalt not covet another man's skippy stash!:oops:Bad Darryl, bad, bad Darryl!

9. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Dan I had a great time out there. Old Mother Nature seemed to be with us and it was a perfect day on the water. For those of you who dont know Dan he is a sweet heart of a guy, he felt so bad about putting a hook hole in that first fish that he just decided to feed the rest of them the entire day!:smile2::smile2:
    Sorry Dan ole buddy but I couldnt resist! The bait of choice was frozen skipjack, the fish were feeding aggressivlely all day. We never found any consistant numbers of fish but would pick up one or two good take downs in each spot that we set up on. The fish came out of outside bends in around 30 ft of water on rock revetments. They seemed to be taking just about every cut of the bait. Dan had 4 good take downs and I had several nibblers and one good take down. We didnt slaughter them but had enough action all day to keep us buisy.
    Dan I cant say thank you enough for taking me out there in your rig; a guy could get use to all of that room and comfy bench seating. We tried some new water for both of us and with the river so low we found some areas that might pay some dividens in the upcoming tournament.

10. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks, Dan, for the report & the photos :big_smile:

11. catmandu62

catmandu62 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Sounds like a good time guys. I would have been out there to but I had less important obligations.:smile2:

12. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Way to go Guys.. Thanks for the report.. That is a nice stretch of water and it's definately different fishing than above Alton..A person could get used to fishing those wing dykes..

13. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Nice report. Where did you put in at? I've never fished down that way.

14. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Congrats on the great day of fishing!! Thanks for great report and sharing your trip with all of us.:smile2: What was the water temperature??

15. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    We put in at Truman boat ramp and headed south. The water temp was about 42 degrees.

16. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

Sounds like a great day on the water guys...thanks for sharing...:smile2:

17. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Sounds like y'all had a great day and caught some nice fish to boot..That's what it's all about..

18. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Sounds like you guys had a good time, how did you like that ramp there in the current Dan?

19. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    The ramp was a bit of a challenge. To add to the effort the wind was blowing right with the current too. My toon works very well as a sail. :big_smile:
    It took me 3 or 4 tries to get onto the trailer. I ended up positioning the boat to the side of the trailer about 50 feet up current and up wind. And I just kind of let the current and wind push me along while I motored forward. Trying to time my arrival at the trailer with the throttle. When I got close enough I goosed her onto the trailer. That was my first time loading with a current like that.
    Ryan offered to angle the trailer down current to make it a little easier. But I gave it one more shot and managed to get into position. A little more stressful than what I'm used to thats for sure.

20. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Dan, I saw your van and trailer down at the Truman ramp yesterday.(Actually, I just saw a pontoon trailer, and Ryan said it was yours!) It's just a couple of miles from where I live. I was down there around 3:00. I must say. The river looked awesome yesterday. That's one heck of a stretch of river isn't it??:roll_eyes: