Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Good day on the river

839 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  CJ21 
#1 ·
I spent the day one the river and it was nice here in south east Texas. I caught several blues and a couple of channels and even one flathead. then I got into the white bass and must have caught a 100 of the little ones. I selected a nice mess and fryed them up for supper now I'm ready for a nap! lol I wish my son would have not been in school today he would have had a ball. anyway just thought I would share. I know the guys up north would love to be able to get out right now. I know I wanted to while I live up there this time of year.

#2 ·
Right on Ray about up North, Most of the lakes here in Iowa are frozen over and the Missouri River is Low and not able to get the Boat Launched as the Ramps are High and Dry. oh well maybe when the lakes have enough ice on them I will go drill some holes and try for some Crappie or something. Anyway thanks for the report. J.D.
:dribble:

#6 ·
JS I fish the Trinity in Liberty most of the time. We have had trouble with our ramp here to and when the river gets low we are not able to launch. I hope we get lots of rain with this cold front thats comming. The TPWD told me that they will clean it out as soon as they get a contractor to get some bids in. I hope it's soon. There is some good fishing over your wat though. The Neches has good fishing I hear and Village creek is good too. I even hear of some good cats comming out of Pine Island bayou. What size boat do you have? A 14' or 16' jon should get you in most of those spots. That is if you have a 4X4 to launch with. And the Sabine river launch on Hwy 12 looks good and that is a concrete ramp there. If the river is not very high here you have to use a 4X4 or the sand will get you. It got my buddies truck a few weeks ago because the boat trailer was hung up in the sand bar. We had to go get some big rope to get out. LOL

#8 ·
Village Creek ... there are some memories. Dad would take us boys camping/fishing there (lived in Port Neches back then). Caught lots of cat's. Some things I remember about it (25 plus years ago): is not that wide but deeper than you think, pretty verticle banks for that part of Texas, and when it is rising (rain) can get REAL swift. We'd pole fish and set a few trot lines in dad's Jon boat.
Once dad caught a 40 plus pound Op (flathead) on trotline. Remember running the trot line with dad, him saying he could feel a big on, when that Op's head broke the water about three hooks before we got to it, my dad says, "no way, an Op on blood?". He gets the fish to the edge of the boat, gets a look down its mouth, and says, "I'll be damn" ... a little ole blue had gotten hooked on the trotline, the Op had hit the blue. The blue was about half way down the Op's throat.

#9 ·
Well my uncle told me a similar story about a year ago. They had put out a trotline in a slough off of a river. they ended up not behing about to check it for a about a week due to the river dropping and they couldnt get a boat passed a fallen tree. they finally got a pero and drugg it over the tree and checked it and low and behold was about 35lb opp that had swallowed a 3lb channel. the channel had poked its fins through the opp and that was what held it on for so long.they said the smell was pretty bad due to the channed rotting in the opps mouth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.