Good day on the ocean today

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by gilmafam, Dec 21, 2009.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Well, my buddy CaptnJack is here from Texas. We launched out of Marina del Rey and headed out to our spots out under the LAX turning area 12 miles out. We marked lots of fish and dropped on some good spots, but the fish were on the rather small size. Got a mix of rock fish but could not find the concentrations of the larger fish we were looking for. There was so much bait out there .... sardines, anchovies..... So may birds... diving and sitting on the bait balls..

Saw a whale or two .... off in the distance with the blow of the air, and then later they were sounding? all around us.

The water started out with about a 2-3 foot swell, but later glassed off and was nice enough to get the boat out of second gear and push the throttle down and get near 30 mph.... but the cruising speed of 26 was a little more comfortable...

We ran out a little further to the edge of the shelf out there and did a float next to a "Party boat". They were not on any fish... so after a drop in 300 feet of water we went back inside....

My next intended spot had several boats on it. as we pulled up all the birds were again diving.. we trolled through the area and decided to get to the bottom. Their was so much fish in the water.... dolphins everywhere... and fellow was a commercial net guy and was pulling up a lot of fish.....

We caught a bunch of small "johnny bass", but no matter what we did, we could not find the bigger ones.... would you believe that the fish were on the bottom in 150 feet of water and all the way up to the top.... big ...big ball of fish..... got tired of getting the small ones and headed back in to where the oil tankers anchor up.... we did a nice drift on a "Shit pipe" but the tide was not in our favor at this time of day.....

Well, the day ended with flat calm seas... the beer wes gone and captnJack's rum had petered out...

Another free day of fishing in California ocean waters... oh, the launch fee ls now $10 ...up from $7. That and a $5 scoop of bait to go with our frozen squid.... Nice to have a boat that sips gas....

Sorry no pics.... could not even get the whales to hold still

Merry Christmas

2. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    Well don't worry brothers at all it matters is that u got to put the boat in and u had cold ones too

3. Pile drivers

Pile drivers New Member

State:
    California
    i read you went out today that good i no you had fun out there did you keep some for your self

4. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    sounds like a great day out. thanks for the post!​

5. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    Sometims its the fishing and not the catch-n that make the best memories. Thanks for sharing thyour day with us

6. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    sounds like you had a great time Ray

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Just being able to get out there on the water & being able to kick back, then come home safely & being able to post a story about the trip is what it's all about.
    :0a23:
    :wink:
    Thanks for sharing that day with all of us.
    :0a31:

8. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Well here it is the next day. We did good by doing the trip yesterday.... Today, it is overcast and may not even burn off. Judging by the breeze coming from the smoke stacks on the Local Edison plant... yesterday was the best day weather wise...
    Nice living close... but I still have to launch the boat if I want to go out...
    May have to do a Christmas eve (day) trip to start on my christmas cheer mood and get ready for a small block party.

We gave all our catch to a local Asian family and decided to have some of my summer "dorado" for dinner tonight....

Merry Christmas

9. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Sounds like a good day out there, Ray. Better to catch small fish than no fish.
    Wish I was in condition to get out and join you. Don't look like I'll be able to go before the season closes at on the 31st.
    Sounds like you needed a sharp fillet Knife, some wasabi and soy sauce. Them little rck fish make good sashimi fresh out of the water.

10. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks Tom.. We gave all the fish, guts and all to a family.... You know .... they may give and exchange for some "take out"...

We are enjoying some of the "Mexico" fish tonight... My buddy CaptnJack said the tuna was excellent ....

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Well, ya got to hang out with a buddy, caught some small fish, that keeps it exciting. Always the possibility to catch bigger. The folks ya gave the fish to must appreciate it.

12. monstercatcher

monstercatcher New Member

State:
    california
    Glad u and buddy went out and had fun that's what it's all about buddy

13. Pile drivers

Pile drivers New Member

State:
    California
    :roll_eyes:you got that right brother welcome to the boc