Good day on the Mississippi 2-8-08

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by TONTO, Feb 10, 2008.

1. TONTO

TONTO New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Went to Thebes friday, river was up with alot of trash coming down stream. Put in anyway, went north to a series of rock ledges where I always catch fish. I idled around looking for arches for about 15 minutes, but could not find any decent ones. I checked the back current closer to the bank and found some small arches. I figured these were channel cats, decided to go ahead and fish anyway, like I said I always catch at least a couple of blues here. Had a friend with me, we both put out fresh cut shad. He caught about a 6 lb. channel in five minutes. I threw out into the current seam, we were in the back current with the stern facing north. I caught a 12 lb. blue in a short time, then another and another. Ended up staying in that one spot. My buddy caught one channel and one blue, after switching to the current seam. I caught six blues, lost one then had to break off one in the rocks. We ended up with seven blues, one channel ranging in size from 18 lbs. to 5 lbs. That new catfish safari river rod handled all fish with ease. It sure is a lucky rod. (I caught five of my six fish on it!). Sorry no pictures I keep forgetting BethAnns digital camera.

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Thanks for the report Earl. Congratulations on a productive day!

3. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sounds like you had a good time. Thanks for sharing.

4. howards

howards New Member

State:
    IL.
    Sound like you were working Grey Points,,,Across the river from there ia a sandbar that good in the summer time for cats.

5. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like you had a good time Earl...Looking forward to making an other fishing trip with ya...I am still not working so when it warms up a little I will be ready, just give me a shout on one of your days off and I will make a trip down during the week by myself and we will make a day of it...Look forward to seeing you guys at the Breakfast Gathering if not before...

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    lookin good earl. keep em comin

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thanks for the report Earl, sounds like a fun day on the water.

8. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    good job earl, sounds like a good day to me. glad you got out & tryed that new rod out.

9. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Earl sounds like you guys had a good day thanks for sharing!!

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Earl glad you guy had a great day. Sounds like that new rod did the trick. You will be looking for another one before long. Thanks for the report.

11. vacatfishin'

vacatfishin' New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for posting this.