Good Day On Old Hickory

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by petersoutcats, Feb 4, 2008.

1. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sunday morning I boated to the steam plant, caught some skippies for bait.
    I really got into the eating sized cats down river right after lunch from a new spot I found. Cut skipjack was the bait of choice yesterday. The Channels and Blues were in the channel at about 30 ft. I don't know but, it look like to me they were breeding. One male had his johnson hanging out, and it looked like a female had roe in her. Seams a little early though. My biggest was a blue at 8 lbs + and the smallest cat was about 3 lbs. I caught about 17 total and saved 5 for a fish fry tonight. I had to move to a little whiskers #2 hook and put the smack down on em because they were biting fairly light and soft. The circles just were not cutting it.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you had a good day indead. Congratulations on the Old Hickory Cats.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I need to get out there soon, the river has been a mess so I was thinkin the lake would be good.

4. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Thanks for the report Scott. Glad you had a good day of it. I was amazed that the TN River down by Chattanooga was very low and they weren't generating all day after the recent rains. Sounds like I might have to drag my gear up that way.

5. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    TN CATFISHER are u coming to the c city gathering? We need to hit up old hickory one of these days. If i wasn't going to the gathering I would hit old hickory this weekend. Should be some good current.

6. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I really wanted to go to the gathering, but i have to work Sat. night .
    Good luck you guys, make us proud:big_smile: I'm thinking of hitting Old Hickory again Fri night if the weather holds up. I have not fished for skipjack in the dark yet. Hopefully they will be thick in there, so I can load up some bait for the freezer. Cat fishing after that.

7. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like you had a good day and had some fun congrats.

8. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    I haven't had much luck after dark on the skippies...good luck
    :roll_eyes:

9. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How about right before dark John?

10. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Chris, I checked the gatherings section and it didn't seem like they were firm on a date yet. This was the first I heard about it. I've never been out to Cumberland City, but I might see if I can make the gathering if and when it happens.

11. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jon, fish and camp is this weekend. Come on up if you can.

12. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    Just before Dark can be a good time to catch skippies. I have noticed that after it gets dark I usually don't catch any skippies though. Unless you can get to where a light is shining into the water...and then sometimes you can still catch them a little.:wink:

13. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    Sorry Iam not going to be able to make it now, with all these storms, I got to sell some roofs thats my bread and butter, so maybe I can sell a few. I can't believe I am choosing to work over fish but I have to with the hail storms. If any of u guys got hit let me know I will hook you up cheap. I am planning on going to old hick on sunday I figure c city will be wore out by then.

14. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN

I had no idea this gathering was even coming up. I guess I should pay more attention to some of the other boards. I figured I might just drop by out there, but it's not exactly local. I'll probably just hit the Chattanooga one instead.

I wish you'd have said something about the cheap roof work sooner. I had a major project on my house I ended up doing myself this past spring with the help of a high school kid. It all worked out so I'm happy. I was thinking about asking if you wanted to hit the steam plant Sunday until I remembered what you guys were saying about weekends there. If you get a break from all the storm repair on a weekday let me know.

15. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    The wife and I hit old hick today, it was slow but we ended up with 4 channels around 10lbs and a blue about 12 and a small channel in 3 hours so it wasn't bad but they weren't going nuts by any means. I tried fishing with chunks of needle fish but not enough action to tell if they work or not but they sure do make nice chunks of bait and they stay on the hook quite well.

16. Lookin for skipper

Lookin for skipper New Member

State:
    ohio
    I am from ohio and come down to TN every year for skipper. We came down last year and didnt do so good. We fish the Cumberland City Dam and I was wondering if anyone knew if they were runnin. Are the water levels High? THANKS

17. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Skipps have been slow lately.
    With the colder weather they might turn on again.
    Keep an eye on the TN posts to keep up on the Skipp action
    We have been getting quite a bit of rain lately, so the the water has been dirty and flowing pretty good.

18. cumberlandcat

State:
    Tennessee
    I fished old hick three times this week nothing great but I did hang into a huge channel yesterday, I am missing a good amount of skin on my fingers to prove it but no big blues, I just can't seem to find a constant place to catch them. I am going to have to hit the steam plant tomorrow for some more skips getting low.

19. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Which steam plant? I haven't had skips to use for bait all winter.

20. RonH

RonH New Member

State:
    tn
    Chris, how did you do on the bait? I'm assuming you meant Gallatin. I was there Saturday and they were tougher to catch than they have been since the end of November - Not including the really muddy days. They are always harder then, but the water looked fairly good Saturday, and they were still tough.