Good day of Bank/Dock Fishing

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by ramon06, Oct 31, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Got up this morning and went to the Local Lake around 7:30 to catch bait before hittin Dutch Gap. Caught about 8 Gills, 1 Sunfish, 1 Green & Orange Perch and put a fat piece of worm on the hook hoping to catch a Carp real quick to cut up before I headed out and ended up catching a 10LB Channel. :big_smile: Got to Dutch Gap between 8:30-8:45 and stayed there till 11:30 with nothing but the usual Crabs although they werent too bad since the water is cooling down. Got one pull down on my 10ft Penn spinning Combo that I usually get my bigguns on but the fish either let go or just didnt get snagged by the Circle. Anyhow I was about to move further down the way when it started raining and I smelled a Skunk coming :embarassed: then it struck me :tounge_out: When Im on my friends boat headed to our favorite spots I always see the Henricus Parl Pier/Dock so I figure what the hell may as well try it since the Skunk was on anyway. Got to the Dock after hauling all my Crap about 12:30. Got 2nice hits back to back on the 10ft Penn Combo on Bluegill head and Blue gill Body, almsot pulled my pole in the water, good thing I tied them down but what do ya know, missed the fish each time because I had the same Gamakatzu 8/0 Octopus Circle that I caught fish on all summer. Resulting in me losing 3 nice fish. Put a fresh team Catfish on but no more hits on that rod other than Crabs. It rained one more time then the good luck started rolling in :big_smile: At about 2:00 I Put a big Eel chunk on my new Abu 6500 with 8' Glow stick thanks Mike(BlueCat69) and caught a 27LB, a 32LB and 44.5 LB back to back to back on the same piece of Eel :crazy: within an hour. from 3:30 -5:30 I caught some really small cats (I cant believe they were even able to get on the hook) I should've taken pics of these 4 small cats they were Bluegill sized and managed to get hooked on my 8/0 hooks :eek:oooh: And I caught 2 good eaters, a nice Flathead and a Blue on Frozen Menhaden. Didnt get any hits on Gills just kept getting hung up. I do have 1 Gill, 1 Sunfish and that Perch left so nonetheless I will be back tomorrow morning. Enough of the long story here's a pic of the 10LB Channel on worm from the local lake and the 2 eater Cats from the dock

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  2. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Here's the 27, 32 and 44 respectively

Attached Files:

3. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    That was a good day!

PM me your address and I will send you a shiny new hook so you won't miss any more gooduns for a while.
    :smile2:

4. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    And one more of the 2 Eaters before they become eaten :smile2: I love the James River :wink:

Attached Files:

5. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    I may take you up on that offer, I have lots of new hooks, so there was really no excuse to lose those fish but I could always use another :smile2:

6. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    i have NEVER gotten anything like that from a dock/shore. ever.. nice!!

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing Ramon. Enjoyed the pics of some nice fish. WTG.

8. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    Congrats on a great day Ramon.

9. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congrats Ramon, those are some nice fish and you had a busy
    afternoon:wink:

10. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    WTG Ramon; Great day, great story. Reps to you brother!!!! ((:)smile2:)))

11. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi

Well, I was feeling sorry for the poor feller with only one dull hook but now that the truth is out I'm gonna mail you a smack in the forehead!
    :0a26:

12. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've only been a couple times this past week but I'm going to be out at Dutch Gap soon...hope to have some good times.

13. BOTTOM

BOTTOM Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like a great day fishing......congrats

14. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Good job Ramon! That pier there is right next to an excellent hole. There is a nice little bowl of deeper water there, and it's narrow so it's a nice little funnel for moving fish.

15. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah I noticed theres a 35-40 ft drop to the left towards the bend headed to the Enon Bridge and a 25-30 ft drop to the right of the Dock/Pier. Me and my friend are gonna enter our first Catfish tournament they are having this weekend at Osbourne. $100 per boat, 4 person maximum with 4 fish limit max wins, dont expect to win with all the experienced James River boaters in the area (No Bank Fishing allowed :sad2::confused2::angry::smile2:) but nonetheless it will be a very good learning experience for the both of us.

16. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Congrats on a good day of fishing those are some nice fish:cool2::wink::smile2:

17. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    There isn't any feeling better than the rush of a big um on the hook! Congrats From one banker to another

18. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Damn right Ray lol thanks

19. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Nice job, Ramon! Way to stick with it and shake the skunk loose. Lots of folks would have given up...and missed out on a great day of fishing. Congrats.

20. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va

Sweet Ramon, that you "sniffed" your way out of the skunk :wink:

I think that's one reason, "all of us" at some point are saying to ourselves,: "Just one more cast, uh, only 2 more casts... one more cig, and Im gone, OK this is it, one more cast, really", LMAO

Great report, and appreciated... be nice to hear the same on this side of the river, lol

Congrats, and keep on catching. Hoping to get out this week, if I can find some bait. :cool2: