Good Day in the New Boat

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, May 1, 2006.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I took my new (really used, but new to me) boat out today for the first hardcore day of fishing and it turned out to be my best day so far this year.

First, the boat did not sink. Thats a good start. Second, I ended up with 30 fish total. About 18 of them were channel cats in the four pound range. There was one 6 1/2 pound channel, a couple of fives, and a 9 pound blue.

I fished from 7:30am until around 2:00pm. The bite started dieing off around 12:30pm. Most were caught in small 100 yard pockets, and I could catch 3-5 fish in each of these areas. Cut bream was the bait of choice, and there was no preference between the heads or the steaks.

All of my fishing was on the Catawba River at the north end of Lake Wylie.

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like a great day to me Dieter. Glad the boat stayed afloat, could have really ruined the day if it hadn't...lol

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Great way to break-in the new boat. Sounds like ya had a fine day.

4. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    i can't think of a better boat initiation than to catch some fish! my props to you sir! :lol:

5. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    wow 30 that is a pretty impressive number. Good to hear

6. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Congrats on the new boat and it sounds like you had a heck of a fishing day!:big_smile:

7. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    WOW that sounds like a great first day with the new boat.Good job i bet u had a blast:big_smile:

8. catcam

catcam New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Congrats on the boat and the fish! I took my brother out fishing for the first time this season last weekend - NADA!

9. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey WylieCat congrats on the great breakin day. I know you'll have many many more to come. So what kind of boat did you get. I bet you upgraded to something a little faster than pontoon didn't you. LOL

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks everyone. It was a rare day. As soon as the summer heat sets in, the spawn comes to a close, and the jet ski's come out, the catfish will be a little harder to catch. I am gonna enjoy the good bite while I can.

Yes Wylie catter, something a little faster than the tooner boat!! I bought an 18 foot 1978 McKee Craft center console with a 200hp 1994 Mercury on the back. She is old, but the guy I got her from is a marine mechanic and did a good job on fixing it up. You will have to come out with me one day. I plan on fishing the lower lake a lot the next few weeks, so drop me an e-mail if you want to go.

BTW, all 30 fish were released...they were a little pissed off, but they are still out there harassing the shad and bream!!!