Good day fishing in the Yak

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by Pirate Jerry, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Caught two of these fellows today using live bream. The one in the pic was 32 inches and about 13 pounds, 2nd one was 29 inches and 11 pounds. Thats a 3 foot ruler in the photo. I took them to shore before taking pics, did NOT want them flopping around in my lap in the Kayak. They did tow me around the lake for a while, fun, fun !!! They are both back in the lake waiting for me on another day ..

Attached Files:

2. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    Great Catch! I have been toying with the idea of gettin a kayak. what kind do you have and what do you like best about it?

3. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I have an "Ocean Kayak" Prowler Big Game. Just under 13 feet long and 34 inches wide, its a very stable boat for plus size people like myself. I strongly recommend a sit on top kayak and that is what 90% of the kayak fishermen use. Search "kayak fishing" on the internet and you will find tons of good info. If you decide to buy I would suggest that you try to test paddle several boats to find the right one for you...

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Nice fish Jerry, there is nothing quite like getten pulled around by a catfish while in a yak!!

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I add my congratulations from a yakker to a yakker. I'm just waiting to grab hold of a cat that size!

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    NICE FISH I am thinkin that I am gonna have to get some filets out!

7. dwidder

dwidder New Member

State:
    MO
    I have a sit on top kayak that my wife and I used to take out on the weekends. How hard it is to keep a kayak upright when fighting a good sized fish. I want to start fishing from the kayak this spring, but I'm not sure what I'm getting into. Any advice?

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I found that the drag must be set lighter when in a kayak and I use circle hooks to eliminate the need to "Set" the hook. Had a buddy give the traditional super hook set yank, missed the fish and flipped the yak. Really a funny thing to see, altho he didn't see the humor in it like I did !!!:smile2:

9. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    That's probably my one great fear in kayak fishing...flipping during a catch. I'm not afraid of losing my life--I'm afraid of losing my stuff!

As much stuff that I have leashed on, though, I don't know...I suppose I could get tangled in all the lines.

I now realize why I have been fishing the smaller holes for cats around 3-5 lbs.

I appreciate the tackle tip. Reps to you (when they let me)!

10. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I, myself, couldn't handle the fear of flippin'! But, I'd love to have seen you catch that nice fish in a yak! Thanks for sharing.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    one of the posts here has a link to videos, there are a few on techniques of righting a capsized yak. they show sit inside kayaks, doubt it would work on a sot kayak.

12. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    How's this for some kayak fishing fun;

[youtubevid]lKjS5irBAG0[/youtubevid]

9' @ 1000lbs

:004:

13. dbarbosa

dbarbosa New Member

State:
    Mansfield, Texas
    I have not tried fishing of my Kayak, that is going to have to be a must this summer.

Thanks.

Darwin.

14. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I would think that fish or any fish that big would be exausted and completly stressed out by the time you actually bring it out of the water. Not good if you plan on release the animal, would it survive after the fight? I sure hope so, but I would think survival after such a stress may be very low.

15. jeremiad

Name:
    Unspecified
    Good point, Luey. Loosening up the drag is necessary to prevent capsizing, and will result in the fish running more.

On the other hand, considering that many kayak fishermen are in the sport because they didn't, or couldn't, invest in a bigger boat setup, in this case they would be catching their fish from shore. I can say with certainty that I am far more effective in landing fish in my kayak than I was from the shore. :roll_eyes:

16. rickr

rickr New Member

State:
    Schertz Texas
    I have also become addicted to Cat Yakin...only caught them up to 20lb (and it was a Freshwater Redfish) and haven't come close to flipping (YET). I like to use medium spinning tackle w/a 25 lb leader attached to 12lb Mono. Really enjoy being pulled around by a husky cat out of my 12' Speck.
    :smile2:
    Rick

17. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Most SOT's are super stable. Infact mine is more stable than my canoe. I've had 5 people on my yak, I was sitting in water, but it was still stable. I've flipped my canoe with one other person in it, and we wern't trying to flip. Read all the kayak reviews you can find if your serious about getting one. My kayak I have right now is 14'x28" , my next one is probably going to be a 14'x24" SOT. It will be a little less stable but I will gain more speed and longer glide.