Good crappie bait

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by MaîtreDePoisson, Sep 21, 2007.

1. MaîtreDePoisson

MaîtreDePoisson New Member

State:
    Bells, Tennessee
    What're the best baits for crappie? Growing up, when I'd catch sunfish at a local pond I always used bologna or hot dog bits, but moving along to bigger lakes that can stretch out for miles, I haven't found that to be as successful, but at the same time I've since learnt that I was fishing at the wrong time of day as well.

So, would you recommend live bait such as worms or grasshoppers, or do yinz think that the old tried and true bologna and hot dogs work?

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Try jigs ......tiped with crappie nibbles.... good choice....

bayrunner ray

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I like to cacth them under a clear water bobber and a piece of night crawler or red worm's.

4. aaron

aaron New Member

State:
    louisiana
    shiners or jigs

aaron

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    get yerself some minnows. In the springtime, rosie reds work great. In the summer and fall, just some shiners.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yep, You cant beat a small minnow about 2" long for surefire crappie action.

7. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yup, gotta agree, minnows is the way to go :0a18:

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Small jigs, in various colors, and yes i agree on the minnows at times a jig will out fish the minnow even but smaller jigs would be my choice, they fill the freezer for me every year :wink: GOOD LUCK on what ever you try, but I would have to say to leave the hot dogs on the grill :wink:

9. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I like to use small jigs (Beetle spin sized) tipped with a very small minnow (1 1/2 to 2 inches) fished under a small torpedo shaped bobber. Hook the minnow thru the lips so it swims upright.Try different depths til you locate the fish. In the spring fish near the bank where there are rocks or logs about 2 to 3 foot deep. Later in the season fish the deeper brush piles and logs. Because the crappies eyes are set toward the top of the head they like to come up to get the bait, if you are fishing too deep the crappie doesn't see the bait below it. Once you catch one set all your rods to about the same depth. Crappie usually travel in schools, when you get one there are probably several more close by. crappie are a good fish for night fishing as well. try around docks or piers that are lighted.

10. easttexcowboy55

easttexcowboy55 New Member

We sink cane and put about 15 or20 in 5 gal bucket and fill with concrete. and put a rock tied to a rope with a float on it. Drop it in the lake tie the boat to the float. and bait the hole with hen scratch. also use jigs with nibbles

11. Cornmeal and Catfish

Cornmeal and Catfish New Member

State:
    Covington, Louisiana
    Try jigs with the nibbles...I have outfished friends fishing with minnows 3 to 1. You spend less time out of the water baiting up, or in the water with an empty hook!