Good Combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ryang, Dec 31, 2006.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ok I want a good combo to buy. Im looking at getting a 10ft Berkly Glow rod and a Abu 7000. Question tho is this a good combo. I would probably spool with 20-30 lbs. The other question I have is what kind of 7000 is better. Ive seen the HSN or HS (about $139), I havnt seen the C3 yet (assume about the same price?). So really is this a good combo to use for trying to get the bait really out there and with a stout Rod/Reel to get them in with?

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The 7000 is a great reel in my opinion ( I own 2). But if you are looking for casting distance go with a 12ft rod. I used 10ft till one of my buddys with the same reel I use let me cast his 12ft rod...much easier to cast and a lot more distance. You will not through off bait as much trying to make a long cast.

3. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Cool thanks I dont think Ive even seen a rod that big tho, I have a $25 gift certificate for Buckeye Outdoors was going to get the 10fter they didnt have anything bigger than that (from what I saw). Which 7000 is better tho?

4. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    i agree a 12 ft will suit you much batter than a ten footer especially with the 7000 being a bigger reel.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have no advice on the Abu reel but I do on the rod. I have both 10' and 12'. Using 2 ounces of weight on both, I can cast the 10' farther. On the 12' rod, it's rated for 2-6 ounces. The 2oz. weight doesn't even get it loaded up. But when I move up to a five ounce weight, that baby will sail. So pay attention to the rod specs. Try casting a bass lure with you catfish rod and you will really see what I mean.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    My opinion based on how I fish and where which is sometimes bankfishing the rivers and lakes or boat fishing lakes and rivers.
    The ABU 6500 C3 spooled with 20 or 25 pound mono with 50 pound Ande leader line on a 7 foot Catfish Ugly Stick.

Now I'll explain why.
    All the folks I fish with use the 6500. We've landed up to 48 pound flatheads, numerous gar in the 3 and 4 foot range, countless huge snappers, logs, trash, etc and the 6500 is enough reel for the job. The only fish my 6500's have let me down on were sharks in the Cape Fear while I was fishing for black drum. Between the rod and the reel there aint enough butt there to turn 6 foot sharks.

For the rod. It's only seven feet in length making it a usuable rod in just about any situation from the bank and boat. I go off the beaten path to bank fish because I dont fish for last week's fish (where everybody else does). This means I'm not usually fishing in a place you could cast a long rod without fishing for squirrels.
    The Catfish Ugly Stick you wont break. We've got hung on stumps in the river and tried to break them. Seen them bent so severely everyone backs up because they think the eyes are going to turn into bullets. Did I mention price? 30 bucks. You can afford to try to break one or all of them.

As far as casting far. I figured out some of the best fishing was right at my feet. I used to run alot of trotlines. I would run them from the bank out to 25 feet of water and sink them to the bottom. 90% of my fish came from the first 3 or 4 hooks from the bank.
    Bush hooks have taught me the same. They are set in close proximity to the bank.
    Total price of the rig. 100 bucks and it gets the job done more then adequately.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Thanks Mark, I just bought a Ugly Cat and was trying to decide whether to put the Penn 209 I got off eBay or my 6500C3 on the rod. You gave me a bit more confidence in the rod for use with the 209...the 6500C3 is rigged and read to go. , don't want to change it right now.