Good cheap allaround combo?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Catfishboy1995, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Hi, I want to get a good all around combo that is cheap...I have been looking at the bps mega casts...but im not sure right now im goin with the mega cast...but if i can get some suggestions i will compare all of them and see which ones i like the best...i have had mega casts before and i loved it for the year it lasted...($40 I didnt expect much!!!) But it turned out to be the best 40 i have ever spent...but now they are 50 and i dont want to spend much more maybe 60...For a bait cast combo for every thing small cats drum (bluegill, bullheads) <<--aka Bait

2. LazyBum

LazyBum New Member

State:
    East Tulsa, Okl
    One thing I learned and live by now.. Buy the very best you can afford, but, good is not cheap, and cheap is not good!

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    very true!

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree, combos you find are not very good

5. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    Cabelas has a good deal on an Abu Garcia 6600 combo. It's like $85.00 for the 6600 BCX combo and $189.00 for the 6600CB. Seems like a decent deal to me.

6. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    if your not lookin for new stuff maybe yard sales/ flea markets might have something .....doesnt get much cheaper than that, i havent bought new stuff in years found some great stuff at yard sales

7. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I got a 5600 and a bass pole that i might use for what i need it for...I think im going to use the 5600and buy a cabelas special rod from well cabelas obviouslly!:smile2:

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve thanks for sharing wisdom on purchasing. I agree. Reps.

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Richard there you go right there ,You all ready have the reel so just buy yourself the pole and save the rest of the money for something else.

10. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you were looking for a spinning reel, I'd suggest a Zebco Hawg Seeker (not so much a "general purpose" combo, though - kinda heavy). Aside from that, I'd agree with what others have said. Buy the best you can possibly afford. I learned this first hand recently. I was beginning to think that baitcasters just weren't for me, until I decided to give it one more shot and try a nice Abu Garcia, based on some of the opinions I had read here, and boy am I glad I did.

I would take a look at eBay and CraigsList.org. You may be able to find a great deal there that you could slap on a cheap rod.

Good luck!

11. outdoors1988

outdoors1988 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would try the berckley glowstick combo just got one and love it anlready caught fish with it and got it yesterday. Good pole for night fishing it lights up and glows and very strong for a med. weight pole.

12. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Your idea of cheap may not be the same for everyone. Please define "cheap".

If you do some searching, you can find individual components at very good prices. Match them up and you have a "cheap" combo....allbeit your personally made combo.

13. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  14. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    You can get a Penn or Abu cheap on Ebay,and then match a rod up to it.
    In fact I saw some catfish rods on Ebay with free shipping recently as well.Definately get a Penn or Abu and you will be happy in the long run.