Good channel catfishing locations near Ft. Wayne, Indiana??

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by badagirton, Jul 3, 2006.

1. badagirton

badagirton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Does anyone know any good channel cat spots around Ft. Wayne area?? I fish crane lake alot and all we ever get is bullheads. My bro likes them, I'd rather eat channel or blues myself. So if anyone would share a spot with me I'd appreciate it.

2. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If I am going after eating size channels I take the 40 min. drive to Salamonie. It's hard to beat for the numbers of channels swimming around. To me it's well worth the drive. Cedarville Reservoir has a decent number of channels and can be a very good place as well.

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Don't know any good spots, but welcome to the BOC! Lots of people with great advice on here. Good luck.

-Red

4. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    john is correct on salaimonie, i've took alot of eater size channels this year and in the past. also welcome to the boc.

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

welcome to the BOC not familar with that part of the world though.

6. jim701

jim701 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Can anyone give me a general idea of how to fish salamonie?Like what baits to use or geneal areas to fish.Catfished it earlier this year and didnt have much luck.fished off of points with chicken livers and cut bluegills and crappies.I would appreciate any info.

Jim

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Jim , welcome to BOC, I don't have much experiance at salomonie but it sounds like you did the right things, maybe just bad timing. I haven't had much luck so far this year at my usual spots aroud here. good luck and don't give up. The guys that know the lake will turn you on to the action.

8. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Shallow flats, tree stumps, and night crawlers.

9. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    salaimonie, i have most luck with= nightcrawlers/softcraws/ cut-bait. i move around alot on this lake, the bank and the main river channel and the river itself. alot of channel in there.

10. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Bob: I used to live up that way, and we had some pretty good luck with the Maumee river. Closer you get to the Ohio line the better, it's kind of small right in Ft. Wayne. Worth a shot, good luck.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    someone mentioned cedarvill res.,bob that is a jem for eater channels,give it a try. there are places to bank fish it all over along the roads.

12. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There are NO catfish in the Maumee river, None whatsoever! Shhhh!

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nowbody wants to fish that floating morgue ,blak. lol

14. badagirton

badagirton New Member

State:
    Indiana
    how do i get there. fished it when i was a kid dont remember where it is

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    bob,it in leo,just north east of the fort. take 69 to dupont rd then head east. stay on dupont (st rd 1) about 5 miles and you will run into it. the dam is a good place to score numbers during the day. you can fish most of the bays from the roads that suround the res. after a rain the bridge in front of the legion. the small spotted cats are good to eat but as they get larger the meat gets real muddy,but hey they are fun to catch. the river flows all the way into ohio and there are fish all the way up.

good luck bro.

16. Welk49

Welk49 New Member

State:
    Northern Indiana
    Heard the maumee river was good, but that's just a rumor floating around.

17. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    I caught four or five today upstream of Cedarville Reservoir on the St. Joe River. South of Cedarville is good too. And Cedarville itself has nice ones. I fish outside bends, wood cover, flats at night. I'm a shad man, myself, which I catch with my castnet. But any cutbait will work. Salamonie is good too, but since I've been catching so many closer to home (Ft. Wayne) it's hard to beat the local river and reservoir! And I don't know about the rest of yaw but I like to keep moving when I catfish... hit lots of spots. It seems like if they're there and hungry you'll know within twenty minutes.