Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Good cast nets?

2K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  fbinsley 
#1 ·
i want to start catching my own bait using a net. i have never done it, i always go catch bream with a hook and worm but i takes away from the lil time i have for catfishin. doas anyone know a good net at a good price for someone who isnt rich and also some pointers on how and when to use them ( yes while your at it you might as well catch the fish for me, lol) thanks fellas

#2 ·
I don't have much experience with cast nets so I can't help you much there. You mentioned using bream for bait, and I just wanted to remind you that in SC you cannot keep bream caught in a cast net.

I recently bought a super spreader net. This was the first net I ever bought. All the others I had used were old ones my dad had that I never could get to open very well. I haven't used the new net to catch bait yet, but I have practiced with it in the back yard and it opens well.

From what I've seen, good nets aren't cheap. I didn't figure I would use mine much, probably mostly at the pond, so I got a relatively cheap one.

#4 ·
First thing you need to do is find out what the size restriction is on the diameter and mesh size. Here in West Virginia we are limited to a six foot diameter and three eights mesh. The Betts series of cast nets are nice the "Old Salt" is a good one if it meets the laws of your state. The "Old Salt" I think starts at seven foot diameter and goes up from there. There are several videos on You Tube showing how to cast a net. Phil :big_smile:

#5 ·
I use a super spreader net in the 7' size. Gander Mt in Mooresville NC has them for $40 and a 5' for $30. They are nice nets and dont use lead for the weights. For the money you cant get a nicer net. I agree with the above about the "Old Salt" nets, but they are twice as much. I go through @4 nets a year if not more.

#13 ·
I'd start out with a smaller (4-6 feet) net. They are easier to learn with. If you just want to catch some bait sized bream and in a hurry, the sabaki rig tipped with 1/4 inch pieces of red worm do the trick for me. I drop it in around the boat ramps and courtesy docks in the daylight hours. I'm even starting to ditch the sabaki rigs and making my own bream rig. Just a piece of 12 pound mono with 4 or 5 dropper loops on it. Then a short piece of 4 pound mono with number 10 hooks(very small) tied to each dropper loop. Barrel swivel at the top and a 1/4 oz. bell sinker on the bottom. No beads, no wings, no flashy stuff, just simple swivel, hooks, line, and sinker. Tip each hook with a 1/4 inch piece of red worm and if they are gills around they can't resist it. When one hits just leave in the water he'll flash and jerk around and attract others. Oh Yeah, Welcome to the BOC!

#15 ·
well, i made it to the flea market saturday and i found a 6ft net for 10 bucks cuz the carrying case was broke. anyway i watched a few youtube vids on how to throw the net and went to the landing to practice...it didnt go so well. i did pull up a 7ft white shakespere rod and reel :)
Anyway i will try later

#18 ·
I got it now....I was out in the yard and looked at the net and it just made sense. I picked it up and took it outta the box and believe it or not I threw a perfect circle. I did it 5 more times in a row and decided I got it....Now i cant wait to put it to the test...thanks everyone for all the info!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.