Good carp tackle

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by daredevle, Oct 14, 2007.

1. daredevle

daredevle New Member

State:
    south carolina
    hey guys im new to carp fishing and i want to know some good carp set ups for bank fishing like give me line rod reel types you get the drift so thanks for the info:wink: oh btw the carp im fishing for are like 4 to 6 feet ling and i think there brown or grass carp thanks

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I use several different setups but one of my favorites is a diawa beefstick, there cheap, 25 bucks. I use a 4500 shimano baitrunner with 30# braid on it. Hope this helps.

3. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    It all depends on your type of fishing, clearance problems a shorter rod, if no problems a 12 foot rod in the 3# class, and yes the Shimano 4500 is the reel. 30# power pro line and hair rigs.

4. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Chris,
    I always used an ugly stick rod about 6'6 in length with an abu garcia 6000 baitcast reel. Id use as little weight as possible according to the amount of current. Have the sinker so it will slip on the line about 6 or 8 inches above a liter with a small hook, no bigger than 3/0. This setup has landed me some nice carp near the 30 pound range. Hope this helps you out. rspd507

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use just standard bass tackle. I have alot of the bass combos that i hardly use anymore and they work great for carp and buffs.

6. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use my bass tackle for carp fishing as well. 6'6" flipping stick. I normally go for as light of line as possible on everything I catch except cats and muskie though and usually fish carp with 8-10 lb test

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Im pretty much with the other guys on this one. I use bass type rods/reels which are also my channel cat set up. It depends on how serious you want to get into it. Longer rods are recommended by serious carp anglers. Baitrunners are the standard but not necessary for the casual anglers. Though i got my hands on of those European style Shimano Baitrunners that I should be getting in about a week or so. It was used so I am keeping my fingers crossed that it works well. I also purchased a rod and reel combo last week while looking for a specific reel that so happen to come with an Ugly Stick Lite. Never really been into Ugly Sticks but this looks like it will make a fine carp rod its 8ft 6. Thinking of teaming that rod up with the Baitrunner for next season. Keeping my fingers crossed that the reel is in good condition when it arrives.

8. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    To me baitrunners are a must. They have increased the hook up percentage greatly. When I use my Abu Baitcaster I must turn down the drag or put it in free spool and tighten the brake. I love the baitcaster, but the baitunners eliminate having to mess with the drag. I have also invested in some of the 12ft Euro type rods and love them, but they are not a must, unless it is distance you want. I use the euro rods and baitunners when i set up with all my gear, for shorter sessions I may just take the Abu Baitcaster and sacrifice distance. It is all personal preference. I would not part with any of the gear I currently have because it all has it's place. I also use a 10ft Silstar Crappie rod with small bairunner for topwater carping. When using that setup the fish take the rod to full curve. It is a lot of fun to catch on that ultra light rod.

9. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I also use my bass rigs, just loosen up the drag, however I encounter some bigguns so I like to use a bigger setup sometimes, depends on the area. :big_smile:

10. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i fish SPL style,i use 3 abu garcia 6500's,on three basspro graphite series rods in 7 1/2 foot telescopic,and trilene 17 pound XT or XL.i usually use 1 ounce sinkers,bead,three way swivle,15-17 pound mono XT or biggame,then a size 4 widebend hook.

11. madiaz

madiaz New Member

State:
    kalamazoo, michigan U.S.A
    if you want to have more fun than you've had in a while use light line. 6-12lb test. i could be wrong but the carp will out pull just about anything in freshwater pound for pound. and not for just a little bit. these guys are like a freight train, they keep going and going and going.

your line which is super key will be dictated by structure. if you are fishing a river with fallen limbs and structure you may need much much heavier line to either pull out of snags or stop the fish from reaching structure. in a lake you can go much much lighter.

i am in favor of small rigs for fun factor but if you hook onto a 20# plus fish it can and will spool you. i don't know what the deal is with these vegetarian fish but if your hook gets stuck in it's mouth be prepared.

hooks, gamakatsu octopus circles size 1 for everything or 5/0 if you are targetting the mother carp. abu or daiwa reel. medium heavy 7-8 foot preferably st croix made in u.s.a. rod.
    bait: corn, mulberry seeds, or 756 different kinds of homemade or store bought bait.
    regards,
    m.a..d